2001 Chevy Tahoe LS Cutting off turns over but then will start in a few mins also if I shake harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Hatfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello my name is Geoff
I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 with 277k miles
When I first bought the car it ran rough in the morning and some times even cut off due to low idle so I changed: The MAF sensor, Plugs and wires, all 8 injectors. This seemed to help some but when it was cold out it would still fun rough and some time show multi miss fire codes, but when it wared up it ran like a champ. I've also changed the: Battery and Alternator. Recently the water pump ball valve went bad so I changed it then low and behold I blew a hole in the radiator and replaced it. I had no problems since until 3 weeks ago. I was driving on the highway for about a 250 mile trip and it just stalled. I pulled to the side and it acted like it was just turning over but not getting gas. I waited 3 mins or so and it started up like nothing ever happened. First thing I did was get the codes checked. Showed lean in bank 1 and 2, fuel pressure sensor low, and 3 or so O2 sensors. At the time I was not in the position to do anything and it drove great for almost 2 weeks. It happened again but this time it started up in about 30 secs to a min, again I checked the code and now it said EGR something or another and also some code for the EDC computer and harness. I changed the EGR and all of a sudden it ran like a champ the CHK engine light went out so I thought that was the fix. Then low and behold today it happened 2 times driving 150 miles toward the end of the trip. First time it literally started right up no problems, no chk system lights etc. Then about 10 mins later did it again but this time it was the whole just turning over and over so I popped the hood and checked the wire to the EGR and shook the wiring harness and the main harness to the injectors hopped in and it started right up like nothing was wrong. This little bit of research I've done said to change the Fuel Injector Wiring Harness and I was also thinking of just changing what ever the name of the computer that runs that is I believe its the maybe the ECM.
(Just a side note and I'm not writing this for pity I'm very limited in funds. I currently have Stage 4 Colorectal cancer with METS to my Liver, Lung, ****** and wound bed where thy gave me a colostomy. It is Very important that I'm able to drive to my DRs and defiantly to my chemotherapy treatments so any help with what I can do to fix this would be amazing)
Thank yo and Blessing Geoff

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a tough one, intermittent problems can be a real pia, it might take a volt meter and some time to check each wire but off hand the ground wire to the injectors has been a problem for some people before I would start there and also check for any corrosion on the connectors at the ecm

OP
OP
P

Paul Hatfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sounds like a tough one, intermittent problems can be a real pia, it might take a volt meter and some time to check each wire but off hand the ground wire to the injectors has been a problem for some people before I would start there and also check for any corrosion on the connectors at the ecm

That seems like a good idea, I have a feeling that I will find some decaying wires along the way. I need todo a little more research tomorrow and see if I can locate the ecm

OP
OP
P

Paul Hatfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just have a odd feeling that when I jiggle them it solves it and seems like it's only happening on long trips when the engine is heating up the most

OP
OP
P

Paul Hatfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just have a odd feeling that when I jiggle them it solves it and seems like it's only happening on long trips when the engine is heating up the most

I'll let you know the out somw tomorrow, thank you for the feed back my friend

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it runs rough until warmed up, a very likely culprit is the intake manifold gasket. Change the knock sensors and their wiring harness while you’re in there also. May not solve all your problems, but very likely will solve one

OP
OP
P

Paul Hatfield

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it runs rough until warmed up, a very likely culprit is the intake manifold gasket. Change the knock sensors and their wiring harness while you’re in there also. May not solve all your problems, but very likely will solve one

It does not run run rough anymore only the cutting off. Could that wiring harness cause that issue?

jimmys03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my '03 had some similar issues. it would run rough lights flash on dash doors lock and unlock die and not start for 10-15 minutes. it was the ground wire from ecm that goes thru harness to the back of passenger side firewall and connects to the back of the head. Like a 14 ga wire. pulled on it slightly and it pulled loose. rerouted that wire to the ground where the braided wire run like a champ ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz