16 Suburban wind noise 60+ mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B256C3F5-8965-4349-A086-B95B53ED994F.jpeg @Prospect62 , cooler morning so went back at it. Cautiously optimistic but I think I finally duplicated the sound. Seal just in front of the drivers door mirror, was whistling like crazy when I hit it with the air gun, no sound anywhere else around the door/window. My wife sat inside the truck for me and confirmed it was very noticeable from there as well. Trimmed it back and pushed some grease behind it, we’ll see. Mines too intermittent to know for sure this did the trick on a single test drive, but could be an interesting spot to apply your painters tape and go for a test drive

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @nick14226 that's very helpful, I will try mine!

My noise wasn't really a whistle like you describe it, more of a low pitch "howl". But it's a starting point!

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Prospect62 , reporting back and very disappointed to say, what I found above was not my issue. I then spent about 40 minutes driving back and forth on a 55mph road between two parking lots testing with painters tape in every area I could think of, one at a time, on a cold afternoon. Taped along the hood, then the windshield, door, window, b-pillar, shark fin, roof rack, door handle, side view mirror. Every time that stinking noise was there, and I didn't notice it changing much in pitch or loudness trying all those different things. Had my windshield replaced due to a crack and was crossing fingers, still there. I'm back to the drawing board.

longhornjon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
B pillar trim can seem like its well on there but still make noise. Mine drove me nuts as I thought it was on solid until it got worse and I saw it vibrating. I 2nd the above use painters tape and tape off the gaps on the trim to see if it goes away. Once my trim was fixed im back to 0 wind noise. If you have a sun roof you could also tape over the seam around it to rule it out.

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the piano black B-Pillar trim on the upper door (adjacent to the window). Ended up happening on both driver's and passenger's side due to failed glue on the factory part. The newer parts I installed had better fixture points and additional automotive adhesive tape. One of the many parts that must have improved after the '16 model years. I think there was a dedicated thread somewhere on this site which helped me with my fix. You could angle your side mirror up and at the part to see if it catches at hwy speeds. When I slowed, mine would go back to their normal position, so tough to detect.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue and it turned out to be the piano black B-Pillar trim on the upper door (adjacent to the window). Ended up happening on both driver's and passenger's side due to failed glue on the factory part. The newer parts I installed had better fixture points and additional automotive adhesive tape. One of the many parts that must have improved after the '16 model years. I think there was a dedicated thread somewhere on this site which helped me with my fix. You could angle your side mirror up and at the part to see if it catches at hwy speeds. When I slowed, mine would go back to their normal position, so tough to detect.
Worth a shot, thank you @longhornjon . I did tape along the front edge of the b-pillar cover with no change, but I'll watch it with the mirror as well. I noticed when I push on the middle of it there was some movement, however, top and bottom are tightly retained and it doesn't seem to come out past the rubber seal in front of it as I messed with it. And then why only in the cold temps. Regardless, I do appreciate the input will be watching it, I'm up for anything to eliminate that noise!

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks longhornjon. I will take a good look at it, heck maybe even buy replacements depending on the cost.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17 Yukon here, might be the same problem, although mine I only notice when it’s cold out (less than 30 deg F) and the truck has been outside for a while. It’s a whistling sound from, I think, front to upper part of drivers door. Thinking a seal is contracting a bit in the cold. After parked in the garage overnight, it’s fine on first drive. I had noticed the upper door frame was out away from the body quite a bit, wonder if at some point a wedge was used if keys were locked in it in the past. Put a wood block at the hinge with window rolled down and kept pushing on the upper frame until it was nicely aligned this summer. Thought I had it, door closes a lot tighter now, but sure enough this winter it’s back. Put sil-glyde on the weather stripping, have hit with compressed air to try to duplicate, folded the mirror in, checked b-pillar, cracked the window, no luck so far. Have to try the painters tape (if it’ll stick in the cold) and/or fog it. Minor, but this kind of thing drives me nuts till I fix it.
I have the same gap on the upper part of the door.
We had winds over 50mph ND door flew wide open. Since then I have that wind sound but I don't know how to adjust the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu