08 Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may be in wrong section feel free to move....
I have an 08 Tahoe I bought last year in Dec. I keep the oil changed every 3000 miles but I don't know if the trans or diff fluids have ever been changed. It has 144k on it so my question is what does everyone recommend when it comes to trans service. Just filter change and new fluid or new filter, flush and new fluid?

Appreciate any info you all have for me.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try running a carfax on it if it was serviced at a dealer or national company it may show when it was done last. otherwise there is mixed opinions on what type of service to do with the transmission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Make it easier on yourself for the future. Add a PML pan with a drain plug. It holds more fluid and is finned to help with cooling. It’s a messy job and can be a pain in the ass depending how you maneuver the exhaust.
I drain and fill 30k and the next time I do a complete trans service with a filter the next time trans is due.

732CECAF-C48B-4584-922F-CCFCC32112F2.jpeg E61E61C0-7EF5-4695-BC9E-AA26868387E7.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brian750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make it easier on yourself for the future. Add a PML pan with a drain plug. It holds more fluid and is finned to help with cooling. It’s a messy job and can be a pain in the ass depending how you maneuver the exhaust.
I drain and fill 30k and the next time I do a complete trans service with a filter the next time trans is due.

View attachment 189505 View attachment 189506
I will keep that in mind when I decide what is my best choice. I just want to make sure I make the right choices when it comes to maintance on my Tahoe. Thanks for the help.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian :welcome:to the forum from Georgia Dawg country, glad your here. As with anything you will always get mixed opinions . IMO, changing trans/fluid @ 30 k is not necessary with today's updated technology compared to the older vehicles. I definitely would not use a FLUSH MACHINE with someone's old fluid residue in it, as is done today in many QUICK LUBE places. If the fluid is not brownish color or smell like it's burned, leave it be. Good luck.
David g.........:2cents:

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 189505 View attachment 189506

Link to the pan? Coming up on 100k miles myself and unsure of the service to the trans.

OP
OP
B

Brian750

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing it this way like he does in this video. He doesn't use a machine. He purchased sum sort of factory cheverlot nipple and unplugged a line near top of motor and attached nipple and hose and would let the trans pump all the fluid out. Add new until it came out of the hose pink. Then filled it up and was done. Seems like a safer bet than using a flush machine. Thoughts???

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing it this way like he does in this video. He doesn't use a machine. He purchased sum sort of factory cheverlot nipple and unplugged a line near top of motor and attached nipple and hose and would let the trans pump all the fluid out. Add new until it came out of the hose pink. Then filled it up and was done. Seems like a safer bet than using a flush machine. Thoughts???

This is how 'most' of us do it. Use the cooler line to the radiator and a 5 gallon bucket. You can pump out the pan first, so if you're dropping it to change the filter it's empty already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattserritella