1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 Sierra Denali - output shaft seal leaking

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by keegan, Sep 16, 2020.

1. keegan

keegan TYF Newbie

Name:
    Keegan
    Hey clan - I've got an 06 - sierra denali - AWD etc. I noticed my rear output seal on the t-case is leaking. Oreilly's gave me this one.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-1500?q=transfer+case+output+shaft+seal&pos=8

Will this one work? I tried looking on their website and they have a few different options. I just want to make sure I have the right part before I tear it down. Or......go buy every option in hopes that ONE of them is correct. Any insight?
    Thanks fellas.

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    That seal is for the NP261C with a 56mm shaft. What is your RPO code for the transfer case? NP0, NP8, NR3, etc.

3. S33k3r

S33k3r Full Access Member

Name:
    Will
    We've run into this problem on an '03 Sierra Denali and an '04 Silverado. Make sure you properly shim things when you put them back together. What happens is the transfer case deforms over time (to in a failing way, but in a way that affects the seal), such that it will leak, even if a good seal. Making sure it gets pressed flat and is held there is important. I have pictures where remanned transfer cases have dumped transmission fluid on my driveway.

Also, your transfer case should be an NP149. I said "should" because they could have changed between 2003 and 2006, but I doubt it. You can look at your transfer case to know for sure. Here's what the disk on ours looked like:

[​IMG]

4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    also the output shaft wears out and makes a hole in the case and causes it to leak

5. S33k3r

S33k3r Full Access Member

Name:
    Will
    As I mentioned previously, he should have an NP149. That said, I think this is what you are referencing:

Doubeleive likes this.