06 denali xl cd changer removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhullIT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why not just get a new head unit? Tech has advanced a lot since 2017 when this thread was last updated and Carplay/Android/BT head units have become more affordable.
That's the thing. Tech keeps advancing and nothing is more advanced than my current phone.

All I want is a HU with a volume knob and BT, but they don't make those and extra gear is req'd to retain the steering wheel controls and chimes.

Tapping into existing wires is the best choice and will give me exactly what I'm looking for.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all. I am torn on what brand to use of ceramic, I read some of the older threads and saw a bunch of options. We have done SystemX ceramic coatings on my last two vehicles and we were happy with it. However the one shop I contacted in KC said they won't even install it anymore and have switched to Fireball brand. I know another shop closer to me is offering 3M brand installed for a bit less which is tempting.

What ceramic brand did you go with? Are you happy with it? Did you happen to go to anyone in the KCMO area to rec?

I also was reading some don't post to CarFax but I liked the concept of that "bonus"? And yes I'm having someone else install it, I'm big on supporting other small biz plus I believe whoever does this everyday is always going to be better at it than me!

I did just get ceramic tint installed on the windows and I'm SO excited about it. Pics to come, it's sitting next to me at the shop still being installed haha.

That's the thing. Tech keeps advancing and nothing is more advanced than my current phone.

All I want is a HU with a volume knob and BT, but they don't make those and extra gear is req'd to retain the steering wheel controls and chimes.

Tapping into existing wires is the best choice and will give me exactly what I'm looking for.
Excellent point….. BUT….. this idea still requires you to buy another headunit. Yeah it’s cheaper and simpler. But for just a little more you can skip that step all together and get a double DIN unit that’s CarPlay/android auto enabled.

an apple car play/android auto enabled headunit will enable that latest tech phone of yours to work much more easily with the stereo system and mirror things on the screen….. like Apple Maps or google maps based on whichever phone you’re using, that’s going to be a much better navigation system than the system that’s built into a GMT800…… always up to date and will show directly on the screen but with much better updated graphics that make it easier to follow directions when using nav. Plus whatever app you use for music will also mirror on the screen. And even though it’ll require you to put in a module to retain the steering wheel controls there will still be a physical volume button, the one on your steering wheel.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think you would be more than happy with something like this. I paid about $300 total for this HU w/ BT & Carplay plus the harness that allowed me to keep my Bose amp and steering wheel controls, plus it came with a backup camera. I ordered it from Crutchfield and they even wired everything up so it was literally plug and play when I got it. I did not splice a single wire.

Carplay.jpg

bhullIT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you would be more than happy with something like this. I paid about $300 total for this HU w/ BT & Carplay plus the harness that allowed me to keep my Bose amp and steering wheel controls, plus it came with a backup camera. I ordered it from Crutchfield and they even wired everything up so it was literally plug and play when I got it. I did not splice a single wire.

View attachment 411592
Thanks, I also saw that option on Crutchfield. Good to know it's really plug and play & I may opt for it if this solution does not pan out.

Time and skills I have, but $ not so much (hence the 20 yr old vehicle).

I already have the BT to AUX adapter and just need a way to wire it in. My phone screen is large enough for me and mounts in front of the radio.

What I'd really like to know is the specs on the CDx audio wires. My suspicion is that they are "line level" like standard RCA. Soon I'll wire it up and let y'all know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amendez