01 Tahoe Fog Light Install Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huffster329

Reaction score
So my Tahoe did not come with factory fogs. I'm going to be making my own harness and wiring into the under-hood fuse box. I'm not really interested in the 4-HI mod, I want a factory fog light setup. I have the OEM switch, fog lights, relay, pigtails from LMC truck, black & red 18ga. wire, and wire loom... I think I have everything but the connector for the fuse box. There is a guy on YouTube that did a how-to on a 03-06 Silverado and he says all you need is a metri pack 280 female terminal to plug into the fuse box. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-1...678607?hash=item2ec06a29cf:g:p0cAAOxy0bRTDRK-

Am I on the right track? Has anyone done this themselves? Any help is appreciated.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
It's been done many times on many vehicles, but I personally usually just tap into something. i.e. Ignition , headlight harness, or independent to the battery.
And I can still make it look factory.
Fuse box is great too. 03 has a different electrical system than an 01, but it sounds like the same concept.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy would be able to point you in the right direction.
I think @Fosscore added fogs to his, could be wrong.
I've been searching YouTube for videos but to my surprise there really isn't any good ones.

OP
OP
huffster329

huffster329

Reaction score
@ScottyBoy would be able to point you in the right direction.
I think @Fosscore added fogs to his, could be wrong.
I've been searching YouTube for videos but to my surprise there really isn't any good ones.

That's why I'm here, couldn't find much information on YouTube for an 01. I have everything I need to install. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I tear into that fuse box.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
On my 02 the headlights have to be on in order to then engage the fogs. So I figure it's wired into that.

OP
OP
huffster329

huffster329

Reaction score
On my 02 the headlights have to be on in order to then engage the fogs. So I figure it's wired into that.

I do know that the fogs have their own fuse and relay in the fuse box... I believe its already wired from the fuse box to the switch. I guess I could always wire into the headlights for power, but wouldn't that mean the fogs will be on whenever the headlights are?

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think you can wire to the headlights for power, so whenever they're on you have power, but wire your fog light switch in between, so that that controls the on and off of the fogs themselves.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I've heard people wire them to their parking lights too. I've found prewired vehicles are hit and miss.my 05 Silverado was not prewired for fogs

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, No, No and NO! You DO NOT wire fog lights directly to your headlights and you dont wire the fog lights directly thru your fog light switch. Here is why, The switch wired directly in series with the fog lights means all current passing thru the lights passes thru the switch. Most likely the switch isnt rated for that kind of current. What you should have is really 2 electrical circuits. The Fog lights wired to the normally open set of contacts of the fog light RELAY and the other side of those contacts wired to your 12v power source. All of that wiring is probably aready at your fusebox from the factory. Then you have the control circuit portion of the fog light circuit. The fog light switch is wired in series with the coil of the fog light relay circuit OR the switch gives a signsl (12v+ or possibly negative) to the BCM and ultimately the BCM gives a ground to the coild of the fog light relay. Id have to look in my schematics to tell you for sure how the factory does it. Im 1000 miles almost from my schematics currently.
Bottom line, you hook up light switch in series with the lights and you run the risk of melting wiring and/or a dash fire. There are basic wiring principles for a reason, especially in autos and the risk of fire or severe damage is great when you cut corners in auto wiring. Dont do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr