“Auto” 2/4WD Stuck in 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam10532

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today the shop is called me they let me know I have water in my front differential that is the source of my noise . So they're going to take it apart figure out what's broken because there's metal shavings in the water I'll keep you updated price and everything replaced

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys need to listen and feel harder, not you @GTNator , i can hear and feel when any of my trucks were/are in auto or 4hi....as you should be able to....i guess im just sensitive to all my trucks feels...;)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue
I have a 2016 Yukon Denali XL 4 wheel drive. Today out of all days I just decided to put on auto all wheel drive "auto". It switched over like normal nothing noticeable. But when I reach the speed of 50 miles an hour plus there was a noise coming from the outside that the best I can describe reminded me of big old Super Swampers on a big truck . I immediately looked under the truck didn't notice anything I put it back in 2 wheel drive mode and jumped on it no noises only an all-wheel-drive any suggestions anybody know this problem I much appreciate it thank you.i

Update :just dropped it at the dealership this evening I will report any findings
Um adam, you have big ol super swampers....

ATX 14

Reaction score
You guys need to listen and feel harder, not you @GTNator , i can hear and feel when any of my trucks were/are in auto or 4hi....as you should be able to....i guess im just sensitive to all my trucks feels...;)

Well, for my Tahoe there isn't any discernible noise change from the cab going from 2WD-Auto-4 High. When I posted my results it was based on driving in a straight line at a moderate speed as I stated. I know there would be a different feel if I was turning while in 4Hi. Also, I'm running street performance tires and my Tahoe does not go off-road. Maybe mileage has something to do with it. I just broke 13,000 miles on my 2016 Tahoe so it is still pretty new.

I off-road with my jeep a lot and there is a night and day difference between being in 4WD from my Jeep and the Tahoe while driving on the street. But I'm running 37" tires on 17" rims as well on the Jeep as opposed to the 20" rims and street tires on the Tahoe.