zz4 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike2691111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would like to swap a zz4 engine for a blown vortec 5.7 in 1999 suburban just purchased. The zz4 is installed in a 1989 burb with tbi, will there be any issues with crank and cam sensors and any other areas of concern? If anyone has done this please advise as I like the zz4 but if too complicated will just buy crate vortec but get 4 bolt main. Thanks Michael

1BAD9T7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ZZ4 heads have the traditional intake manifold mounting holes, not compatible with vortec... The shortblock would work, but you would need to get the newer timing cover to accept the sensor mounting, then a tune to accept the bigger camshaft.

I would suggest a vortec crate for simplicity.

Jason

OP
OP
M

mike2691111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks but already have the zz4 engine installed in the 89 burb that I have retired and hate to pay the 1500 for a vortec crate 4 bolt main when I have this and lots of time as really do not need as have two hoe's and three burbs so I have some time to work with. I am with you on the simplicity part and nice tip on the sensor.

Michael

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Are the heads on the zz4 the aluminum fast burns or cast iorn? If they are the fast burn seris they are able to accept the new vortec style intake. Also on the timing issue you will also need the reluctor ring that goes on the cranks snubb. it goes infront of the timing chain closest to the cover. This is what the crank sensor reads as it is running make sure to pull the one off your blown 99 block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89