Z71 Plastic Molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neloms

Reaction score
My black Z71 has black plastic molding around all the wheel wells. Is there a way I can remove those and have the stock fender look, or is the body not painted underneath those moldings? I'm sick of cleaning them every time I wash the truck, and if there was an easy way to remove them I would.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can remove it. There are a few plastic pop out clamps/screws that come off easy and there will also be 3m sticky tape on the molding where it attaches to the paint/body. The pop off clamps/screws are under the fender just in the beginning of the wheel well. Easy to remove, just get a flat head screwdriver. The only issue you may have is that the fender probably rubbed against the paint over the years, so you may have scratching.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason on the old forum I believe someone did this but found holes where they mounted up....not to try and dissuade you from doing it, maybe it was a ****** job done by the previous owner?

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know trend_setta on the old forum did it, never saw any complaints about the holes. My hoe is an LT and has the same flares, I'm about to take them off too, just think that grey plastic color looks tacky

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, just took mine off...came off way easier than the door moldings, that turned into an all day thing. dunno, I used a heat gun and I think that made it leave a thin film of goo that took forever to get off...

with the flares I just pulled them off, I think I got lucky, a lot of the adhesive already wasn't sticking anymore....and the wife volunteered to pick off what was less, just with that I was ecstatic lol...anyways, an hour and half total i think to pull them off, use some goo gone, then clay bar'd and waxed

As far as those peg holes, they are tiny, don't think anyone is gonna be looking, but at any rate I just put the plastic pegs back in. I'll get some before/after pics up by the weekend.

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here's some before/after.... mine's an 05 so over time the edges of the flares i guess wore a bit on the paint, but very minor, even in the close up pic it's not noticeable.

Attachments

• 100_0719.jpg
    100_0719.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_0772.jpg
    100_0772.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_0776.jpg
    100_0776.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0787.jpg
    100_0787.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 68

CodeB4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the newer body style Z71 emblems if you want to add them to yours. I see your in houston tx also.

brndns_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the newer body style Z71 emblems if you want to add them to yours. I see your in houston tx also.

nah, that's cool. mine's not a z71...yeah, i'm in sw houston, i saw one of your other posts said you're in katy and you work at a dealership...wouldn't happen to be mac haik? just had my work vehicle in there the other day.

OP
OP
neloms

neloms

Reaction score
ok here's some before/after.... mine's an 05 so over time the edges of the flares i guess wore a bit on the paint, but very minor, even in the close up pic it's not noticeable.

Looks great! I'll see if the wife wants to do this to her rig next weekend...