Z71 from CO!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBrud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been lurking for a bit, and finally picked up a new-to-me Suburban last week.

Here's my specs:
2019 Chevy Suburban LT
Z71 midnight package
Luxury package
88k miles

It seems to have been taken care of - two owners and regular servicing. It took me a while to find a 2015+ Z71 close to me and at the right price, so when I found this one, I jumped on it. Drove down the next day, and drove back home in the new burb. Its crazy how comfortable they are, and I was surprised to get 20mpg on the way home.

I've already ordered a new set of 275/70/18 Nokian all terrain tires, as well as a few things for the interior.

I believe the suspension is original, so I'm also looking into ordering some replacement struts and shocks, but I'm struggling to find the right information to satisfy my curiosity (yes I've used the search on this and other sites). I'm probably going to replace all four with Rancho shocks to stay close to stock and on a budget. The adjustable quicklift front struts and the adjustable rear shocks should be bolt-on replacements, right? I can't seem to find anyone who has replaced Z71 front struts with rancho quicklifts to figure out if it provides 2" of lift over all trims, or if its only an inch or so longer than z71 struts-- can anyone tell me if they've installed rancho quicklifts on a z71 and whether it leveled the front, or kept it stock?

I don't want it to turn into a suspension thread, I just figured maybe someone out there knows..

Back to the intro --

I bought the 'burb to replace a Subaru wagon. It was a great car, but we needed more. More cargo room, more passenger space, more power, more built-in capability. I also wanted something that was common and serviceable so we could keep it going for a long time. My wife and I plan to take this on many road trips and camping adventures in the years to come.

My current plans are to refresh the suspension, get it up to date on the high-mileage service (brakes, trans, diffs, t-case, plugs/wires, etc..), then enjoy it. I've heard a lot about black bear and superchips on this forum, so I may tune it, but I'm not sure about that yet since Colorado has been enacting stricter emissions requirements. I'll try to make a build thread soon to track and share my progress.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone on here who contributes - I've read so many threads in the last month, and I'm really grateful for everyone sharing their knowledge!

burb1.jpgburb2.jpg

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

As you have already seen, there are lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Very nice find!

OP
OP
BlackBrud

BlackBrud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

How many miles on it? Why does it need suspension work already?
Thanks! It has 88k miles. The suspension is just a bit soft and low for my taste. The burb will see some Colorado trails 3-4 times per year as well as some rural dirt roads, so I’d like to beef it up a bit.

OP
OP
BlackBrud

BlackBrud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome neighbor from Brighton, CO!

As for the shocks.. The big things you have to watch out of is Magnaride, and Air Ride. Replacing them incorrectly means annoying lights on the dash.
Thanks for the heads up! How can I tell if I have magnaride or air suspension? I assume there would be wires coming out of the shock bodies?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019