Z55 delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malvizar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to delete the z55 on my 2007 Tahoe. My rear compressors are done so now is the time. Also gonna do a rough country level kit while I have it all taken apart.

I'm looking at bilstein or Kyb truck plus. The Kyb's have the coil installed in the front already. I can't find any bilsteins that are preloaded with the spring.

My Question is Can I reuse my existing front spring? Or do I need to replace it with a "regular type suspension" spring.

I will be replacing my rear spring with a stiffer one so it won't sag.

Thx

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
I just did the front of my 2011 Z71. I reused all the original factory parts of the strut as they were in “serviceable” condition and just swapped the bilstein in.

The spring perch from your existing strut must be removed and inserted onto the bilsteins with the rest of the parts. If you are replacing the springs with stiffer, or just stock new springs, then just swap that in as you rebuild.

I had my mechanic disassemble/ rebuild strut as I was not happy with the spring compressor I was attempting to use. But pulling the strut and putting it back in was actually pretty easy, barring a few small questions along the way.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the rear, get OEM non-Z55 springs, as they are stiffer.

Install resistors, in order to eliminate any annoying warning lights. Be sure to save any electrical connectors that you remove when installing the resistors, in case that you decide to go back to the Z55 suspension in the future.

I purchased my new-to-me 07 Yukon XL Denali that the previous owner stripped out the Z55 suspension. I converted back to the OEM Z55 suspension, and I'm glad that I did, as the ride is much improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16