Yukon Died on Short Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booyahzman

Reaction score
So I've owned this truck for just over two weeks, and thought I'd take it out on its "maiden voyage" from Denver to Colorado Springs, about a 160 miles round trip, with a few hour break in between. I've been very careful not to push the truck hard at all for these first few weeks to get to know it first and figure out its quirks.

Long story short, while driving at about 75mph (speed limit), and not pushing it, I hear a loud THUNK and smoke rolling out the back. I pulled over immediately while a thunking noise continued till I stopped. Truck turned off and in Park, I tested moving it myself, and I was able to roll the truck forward. Also, the ground had a nice pool of transmission fluid on it.

So, got it towed to a trusted repair shop for now, but I also looked into previous repair done on it from the previous owner. Low and behold found that it was JUST serviced by a GMC dealer (literally days before I bought it) where the flywheel and several gasket and seals dealing with the transmission were replaced along with the fluids.

Could there be a possible case of bad repair done on the Yukon? Any theories as to what may have happened, and what I've got myself into?

Thanks for the ideas, and I apologize for any typos as I'm typing from my phone.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Booyahzman

Booyahzman

Reaction score
Got some news from my mechanic.

He says that the adapter between the transfer case and transmission was split, but he has no idea how or why considering that I wasn't trying to push the truck at the time. However, the transfer case and transmission themselves appear to be okay. Weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts