wth is the speed sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnunez29

Reaction score
i got a erratic reading on my denali and im getting conflicting info on the location. and the cause if anyone knows please pass on the info thanks

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Speed sensor is usually in front of trans or on trans and reads how fast the gears are spinning causing everything to function as it should

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel speed sensor is in the hub bearing. To replace it you need to replace the bearing. I just replaced one on my yukon, It took about an hour and $180 for the bearing.

OP
OP
J

johnnunez29

Reaction score
The wheel speed sensor is in the hub bearing. To replace it you need to replace the bearing. I just replaced one on my yukon, It took about an hour and $180 for the bearing.

would this be the part that throws the code reading "right front speed sensor erratic?"

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my bearing because it was making noise. It wasn`t throwing a code or any message so i`m not sure but i can`t think of anything else it could be.

There is a sensor on each wheel so the fact that it`s telling you about the right front tells me that it`s the hub bearing.

I`d take it to auto zone or an advance auto parts store and have the truck scanned to pinpoint the problem.

OP
OP
J

johnnunez29

Reaction score
I replaced my bearing because it was making noise. It wasn`t throwing a code or any message so i`m not sure but i can`t think of anything else it could be.

There is a sensor on each wheel so the fact that it`s telling you about the right front tells me that it`s the hub bearing.

I`d take it to auto zone or an advance auto parts store and have the truck scanned to pinpoint the problem.

may very well be. i was getting a code thrown for the 02 sensor and the car was misfiring on idle. i changed the spark plugs (it had double platinum lpugs from autolite even though car requires iridium) ,cables and the 02 sensor. car no longer misfires and they scanned it but only got the 02 sensor code this time. he cleared it and it hasnt come back on yet. though now when i turn the wheel seems to slide and occasionally when i brake it slips and abs lights up

CTown LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearing failure. ABS code is the final factor. The speed sensor inside the hub assembly fails. When this happens the ABS sees this as a wheel spinning at a speed different from the other wheels and activates the ABS system. If it's not happening yet, your ABS system may start applying the brakes to those other wheels making it difficult to accelerate from a stop. Pretty common failure.

bret04yuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wheel bearing failure. ABS code is the final factor. The speed sensor inside the hub assembly fails. When this happens the ABS sees this as a wheel spinning at a speed different from the other wheels and activates the ABS system. If it's not happening yet, your ABS system may start applying the brakes to those other wheels making it difficult to accelerate from a stop. Pretty common failure.

CTown LTZ is exactly right! Mine had the problem for two years before I dug into it and saw how easy it was to fix. Gets really annoying at a stop light or stop sign, accelerating, then having the ABS kick in, kill the engine RPMs, take your foot off the gas wait a moment then accelerate normally. (Every single flipping acceleration!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lighterknot