wireless remote loss strength

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pfallin09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on my 03 escalade i have a keyless entry remote (like most other cars in this genre). How ever when i got my car at 83,000 in 2007 the remote unlock didn't work at a far range. Sometimes it does work to a reasonable distance and other times i have to be right next to my car. So does the power of the wireless remote diminish over time? i tried changing out the battery and that had no effect. Do i need to get a new remote or is it a problem with the receiver on the car?

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
hold the remote to your chin and press the button...i swear it really does work to improve the distance.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true due to capacitive coupling. The range of the remote is increased when you involve your body because your body picks up the radio signal from the transmitter and acts like a large aerial, transmitting it more effectively to the receiver. Your body is mostly water. The high frequency signal from the transmitter passes through your non-conductive outer shell (skin and clothing) into your highly conductive inner core through capacitive coupling, which effectively increases the range of the radio signal.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
It's true due to capacitive coupling. The range of the remote is increased when you involve your body because your body picks up the radio signal from the transmitter and acts like a large aerial, transmitting it more effectively to the receiver. Your body is mostly water. The high frequency signal from the transmitter passes through your non-conductive outer shell (skin and clothing) into your highly conductive inner core through capacitive coupling, which effectively increases the range of the radio signal.

damn...high tech way of saying stick it to your chin and open your mouth and turn back and forth like a radar...LOL jk

Thanks for the back up! I even do it with my autopage remote...out of habit.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

:wtf:

You better stop :drink_nl: this early in the morning!!!!!!

i don't drink anymore nor do i do drugs so i'm just this crazy

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, yea, my wife used to laugh at me everytime I would do it. She thought I was feeding her a line of crap when I tried to explain to her why it works. One day we were out somewhere a ways out from the car and the transmitter didn't reach. She tried it on her chin just for kicks and it worked. She doesn't laugh anymore.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
Haha, yea, my wife used to laugh at me everytime I would do it. She thought I was feeding her a line of crap when I tried to explain to her why it works. One day we were out somewhere a ways out from the car and the transmitter didn't reach. She tried it on her chin just for kicks and it worked. She doesn't laugh anymore.

hehe...my wife was the same way until she tried it on her malibu...lol

OP
OP
P

pfallin09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so instead of doing that every time and freaking everyone out and making me look like a dumbass, would a new remote work to increase the range ofthe signal?

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
ok so instead of doing that every time and freaking everyone out and making me look like a dumbass, would a new remote work to increase the range ofthe signal?

nope...but another new battery might help...unless the remote has buttons that make good contact internally.

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try scuffing the battery contacts inside the remote. Sometimes a thin film of "invisible" corrosion will build up and cause a slight voltage drop, which would also decrease the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lady112210