Wire stripper shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone back to the style as pictured in the first post by Stanley. Have used and wore out the foreign ones of this type and of the kind in post #5s upper photo that had the locking feature. Also have a very large pair for crimping 300 pound leaders (for fishing). When those are lost I grab one of the knives I've made or the Letherman.

jbancs

Reaction score
PWC22B.jpg

I've used these in addition to the ones you posted in the original post. These seem to work better for smaller AWG wires because there are two V shaped blades, so it cuts through the insulation in 4 points so it breaks less strands.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Forgot about this post lol.
I've used the basic ones for 15+ years and I'm surgical with them lol. Just thought I'd try and use one of the pro styles. looked easier, maybe not quicker, but I notice as I get older i take my time more with projects.... especially wiring.
Wished we had a harbor freight here, I miss that place.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this post lol.
I've used the basic ones for 15+ years and I'm surgical with them lol. Just thought I'd try and use one of the pro styles. looked easier, maybe not quicker, but I notice as I get older i take my time more with projects.... especially wiring.
Wished we had a harbor freight here, I miss that place.

I actually own several different wire strippers, but I only posted a link to my favorite ones. If you are looking for a self adjusting stripper that will strip just about any wire from 22 gauge to 10 gauge by simply squeezing the trigger, then order a pair of the $13 wire strippers I posted a link to. I have owned a few similar pairs that were made cheaper and they broke very easily, but those yellow ones from Parts-express are a beast. They are seriously rock solid. But they do have their cons as well. I have trouble stripping some 10 gauge wire if the insulation is thicker, and anything else thicker than 10 I can't strip with those. I also found that on some really thin wires, the strippers actually yank copper strands out along with the insulation. I've noticed this especially on Japanese cars that I have installed alarms on with very thin wires. On those, I have to break out the old manual wire strippers that you actually need to fit the wire into the correct sized notch on the wire strippers. It does take a bit longer especially if you are doing 10-15 wires, but at least it doesn't end up damaging the thinner wires. I actually just bought another pair from Harbor Freight, the ones that @inmypassatlife posted. They are actually on sale right now for three bucks!
They are definitely worth $5 when they aren't on sale. I like them a lot. And I especially like that you don't have to open the handle up and reach it OVER the wire like the ones in your first post. I hate having to do that with my combination stripper crimper tool that I have. But I also like my automatic adjusting strippers as well, they each have their place.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I actually own several different wire strippers, but I only posted a link to my favorite ones. If you are looking for a self adjusting stripper that will strip just about any wire from 22 gauge to 10 gauge by simply squeezing the trigger, then order a pair of the $13 wire strippers I posted a link to. I have owned a few similar pairs that were made cheaper and they broke very easily, but those yellow ones from Parts-express are a beast. They are seriously rock solid. But they do have their cons as well. I have trouble stripping some 10 gauge wire if the insulation is thicker, and anything else thicker than 10 I can't strip with those. I also found that on some really thin wires, the strippers actually yank copper strands out along with the insulation. I've noticed this especially on Japanese cars that I have installed alarms on with very thin wires. On those, I have to break out the old manual wire strippers that you actually need to fit the wire into the correct sized notch on the wire strippers. It does take a bit longer especially if you are doing 10-15 wires, but at least it doesn't end up damaging the thinner wires. I actually just bought another pair from Harbor Freight, the ones that @inmypassatlife posted. They are actually on sale right now for three bucks!
They are definitely worth $5 when they aren't on sale. I like them a lot. And I especially like that you don't have to open the handle up and reach it OVER the wire like the ones in your first post. I hate having to do that with my combination stripper crimper tool that I have. But I also like my automatic adjusting strippers as well, they each have their place.
I'll probably get those.
I also have a couple sets of the reverse style strippers like these. Come in handy in tight spots gardner-bender-wire-strippers-gs-355-64_1000.jpg

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Klein. They will last longer than it takes to lose them. I do a lot of electrical work in houses, boats and cars and I have about five pairs of them. Cheaper ones will dull on the gauge you use the most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts