Wire stripper shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
So I have like 4 of the basic wire strippers. Been contiplating on getting some pro strippers like they use in audio shops. Any recommendations? Online only. Not crazy expensive but not cheapo either ($20-$30)

Pic of the basic basic stripper I have
wire-stripper-8162809.jpg

Style I'm looking at
61-7SM6A0CL._SL1500_.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this dorman at auto zone since my old ones were worn the heck out, they ran about same price as online $25-30

stripper.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this dorman at auto zone since my old ones were worn the heck out, they ran about same price as online $25-30

186517-fece7cad9060d4bcb02d06a6524e1a4c.jpg

:word:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As convenient as having a crimper/stripper combo is, I've always found them to be more of a pain and it's just as quick and easy to switch between tools. The end crimpers work so much better anyway.

For strippers, I used to always buy these:

Images055.1.jpg

But then found that Craftsman had pretty much the exact same ones for about half the price but with a more comfortable handle and a secure lock to keep them closed. I prefer this style because they're small so they fit well in a pocket or canvas tool bag.

For crimpers, I like this style:

channellock-B00004SBDI-909-main-lg.jpg

Both these crimpers and strippers are especially good for car audio because they can be used in tight spaces (reaching in a head unit cavity, under the dash, etc.) to cut, strip or crimp. The style that strips or crimps behind the fulcrum requires the space to throw one of the handles around the wire. It sucks performing these acrobatics while trying to hold the wires together in the butt splice under a dash while avoiding accidentally nipping another wire.

The one-step strippers are convenient, but I wouldn't use them on small gauge because they nick or cut some of the strands.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For crimpers, I like this style:

channellock-B00004SBDI-909-main-lg.jpg

I have used these for 20+ years doing car audio installs. I strip with these as well. Lately though, I have found myself wanting a set that were posted earlier. really easy and don't hurt your fingers/thumbs like trying to strip with these.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use these for a crimper, 3 position color coded, adjustable ratchet, consistent every time.

crimper.jpg

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $5 harbor freight wire strips are every bit as good as the Snap-on and Klein ones. I was a mobile a/v installer in my previous life and the HF ones were a god send since we used to leave them in cars

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
@05Single

Buy the Ideals, but get the reflex ones. You can tell the difference in the curved handle. There are a couple models depending on wire gauge. For crimpers, the klein 1005 is where it's at.

Both of these brands are local to me. I have been in their shops. I see what they make and I use them every day.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@yates ™

Buy the Ideals, but get the reflex ones. You can tell the difference in the curved handle. There are a couple models depending on wire gauge. For crimpers, the klein 1005 is where it's at.

Both of these brands are local to me. I have been in their shops. I see what they make and I use them every day.
But I have wire strippers already :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia