windshield problem to fix or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 95 Tahoe and for the 2 years and change I have had it there was always some minor surface rust along the top of the windshield and in that that little gap between the roof and the windshield was always something I was thinking about fixing. Well I had this tiny rock chip in my windshield smaller than the eraser on a pencil well hit a bump or something the other day now there's a crack going across the windshield about where the wipers rest, so called up Safelite and they gave me an estimate of 184 plus tax and some other add on fees and was wondering what kinda glass they use cause out of LMC a new windshield is around 200 and change so went down to the body shop near me (gonna get a few other prices too) and got an estimate, and he was telling me all kinds of horror story's about how Safelite and the other places insurance company's use tend to rush and the end result can be bad (found a bunch of complaints online too) so he was saying what happened was when the windshield was replaced before when they were cutting it out they more then likely scrapped the top area and that is what caused it to rust, and the windshield that was used was some cheap aftermarket one forget the name but it was an American company and it got bought out by some Chinese place and went downhill from there, so to fix all this right with an OEM windshield is 1500 gotta repaint/clear the whole roof to make it look right and remove and install the rack and if I go with an aftermarket windshield its only 200 bucks less (gonna get more prices on monday) so my truck has about 246k and change on it and besides this is in mint shape the frame and underneath is free of any major rot/rust, runs and drives mint (replaced many parts I would list but would be here for awhile) has the 99/00 Escalade/Denali conversion done too, I know I won't ever get any money back if I was ever to sell the truck or if anything happened to it, in the KBB it is listed at 3500 so I am kinda leaning towards using my tax money and getting this all fixed, I have thought about selling the truck and getting something else but then I would have a car payment and with the economy the way it is, its better to have less things you need to pay for every month, so what is everyone's opinions on this fix it or what, and anyone have any horror story's about Safelite or any other chain place that does windshields? thanks for the help/advice

branndon_b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, that can be a nasty place to get rust, the problem is that once it can get behind the windshield, it can rust all the way across and you'll never know it. i had a spot of rust above my windshield as well, and i had it fixed like you're talking about doing. mine didn't start with a cracked windshield though, but same outcome. i don't have any advice on who to use for the glass, but i do encourage you to fix the rust before it gets worse.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, that can be a nasty place to get rust, the problem is that once it can get behind the windshield, it can rust all the way across and you'll never know it. i had a spot of rust above my windshield as well, and i had it fixed like you're talking about doing. mine didn't start with a cracked windshield though, but same outcome. i don't have any advice on who to use for the glass, but i do encourage you to fix the rust before it gets worse.

that's what I was thinking too cause until you take it out you will never know what it looks like, its something I was gonna get done anyways but now that the windshield is cracked and needs to be taken out its the perfect time to get it fixed right, and I am kinda leaning towards the OEM glass its only 200 bucks more then the aftermarket one

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I pages 150 for my windshield and install:)

that is a lil less than what Safelite wanted for mine but after reading some things online and talking to the guy at the body shop and my friend that used to do body work said I am gonna stay away from that, what brand of glass did they use? unless that 150 is what your glass deductible is? cause on LMC the glass they sell is a lil under 200 which was what the cheaper glass the body shop uses was

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
That rust above the window is a *****, but if you dont get it fixed, the rust will keep getting worse and then your window will tend to leak like a siv.

All of these trucks rust in that area, not because of the installer of the window but its just a known place for rust.. aftermarket glass gets the win for me..

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
idk what brand it was but yea it was a guy that specializes in replacing windshields n stuff like that. he does a good job and yea the windshield is good and not even chipped

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rust above the window is a *****, but if you dont get it fixed, the rust will keep getting worse and then your window will tend to leak like a siv.

All of these trucks rust in that area, not because of the installer of the window but its just a known place for rust.. aftermarket glass gets the win for me..

I have decided I am gonna get it fixed gonna keep the truck this and fixing the a/c are the last two things the truck needs just waiting on my tax money to come in and to get a few more prices on the work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy