Non-OEM Windshield Replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks one of the trucks, 24 Sierra 1500, needed a new windshield due to a rock chip that turned into a long crack. Safelite was contacted, went out and replaced the windshield, and calibrated the camera and whatnot. So far, so good. Last week out of the blue, the lane departure started chiming, even when sitting at a red light, and the cruise control would sometimes disengage without explanation, or would not engage at all, no errors. Truck is under warranty, so off to the dealer it goes. Dealer has it for a few hours, employee calls me, tells me GM is denying warranty coverage due to a non-oem windshield replacement. Long story short, GM has a windshield replacement statement that basically says, use a non-oem windshield replacement, and it is inferior. I called the company we purchased it from, they will tell you their replacement glass meets or exceeds oem standards, but can't send you the specifications of the glass, and it's up to GM to prove otherwise, and of course cited Magnuson-Moss, and I could sue GM. In order to sue GM, I would need to show the specifications meet or exceed their's, but the glass company won't provide it. I ended up replacing the windshield with an oem windshield, it was a little over $750.
After the oem windshield install, the issue wasn't resolved, it was the camera and a "Distance Sensor" for the adaptive cruise control, all replaced under warranty as a courtesy, the dealer said they can't prove it was damaged windshield was replaced, but it's suspect.
GM Windshield Replacement Statement

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super annoying but part of the reason why I go dealer/OEM only for service and parts when under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel