Windshield Frame/Mounting Contact Area: Found Painted by Safelite Technician

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koonzee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forum Members: In order to eliminate a leaking windshield, Safelite honored a lifetime warranty on work performed ten years ago. The root cause of the leak was painted metal that is in contact with the windshield adhesive or sealant. Essentially, the metal windshield frame which supports the windshield should not be painted. To ensure a proper seal between the glass and metal, this area need to be bare metal.

Has anyone learned of this area being painted on their vehicle from GM? I purchased the 2001 Yukon from the original owner and it was in pristine condition and was never in an accident, as far as I know. There are no signs of a repair or damage anywhere on the vehicle that would indicate it was restored or repainted. The metal windshield frame was painted the same color as the body. I assume this area is covered with masking tape while the vehicle is being painted on the assembly line.

If you are trying to locate a rain leak on your vehicle, spray a foam-like windshield cleaner along the perimeter of the windshield and then spray compressed air along the inside perimeter of the windshield. My leak was in the top center of the windshield frame resulting with wet floor pans on both sides of the vehicle, more water gathered in the driver's side than the passenger's side.

A degrading brittle plastic sound barrier under the carpet insulation was simply a distractor. Its failure was noticed during the same time the water leak appeared. Fortunately, it is unrelated to the leak.

I have learned it is very difficult to duplicate a leak and try to simulate rain to cause water to gather in the floor pans. the outside black trim or bezel placed along the perimeter of the windshield is simply cosmetic and does not play a role in sealing the windshield. The gaps of the black trim near the corners mean nothing.

It is all about the adhesive or sealant used between the glass and metal frame of the windshield.

fyi

OP
OP
Koonzee

Koonzee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since the car has had substandard windshield mounting surface areas for the past 23 years, I am happy windshield sealant lasted as long as it did. The Yukon is a 'keeper' and I am looking forward to driving it for the next 23 years.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a glass technician but that doesn't make since. GM wouldn't build it if it requires special steps like that to mask parts of the body. Maybe I'm crazy, but sounds like smoke to me. On other hand I could believe if technician didn't prep the area correctly the adhesives and seal wouldn't work. Think of it this way, why didn't the tech raise issue when he installed it??

Nice of them to repair the leak.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frames are factory painted. If they are not painted then there is an unprotected area where there is likely to be stored moisture due to being partially sealed which will cause windshield frames to rust out over time.

ss4chad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exposed (unpainted) metal will corrode, a uniform paint layer from the factory WILL NOT affect the sealant or its ability to adhere or seal the window. Whoever this technician was I would have just looked at him and said "are you done yet?".
Good to hear they warranted the leak from their poor application to begin with.

Chad

Reaction score
I say that Safelite guy does not know what he is talking about. what you are showing looks like every other car I've seen. Is that a 3/4 Ton, XL? I had Safelite replace glass in an 01 1/2 ton, and now have a 3/4 Ton XL. the 3/4 also leaks air ( lower left corner ). Another thing to track down.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that's wrong and the problem probably when they replaced last windshield they didn't use enough sealant. Did they put same windshield back in.
There is a what glass professional's call primer they usually put on before sealant.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that the window frames should be bare metal is nonsense.

On all vehicles the window frame is painted at the factory. Firstly, it must be painted to be protected from corrosion, because even bare metal in the interior, where no water normally gets to it, rusted, simply due to condensation.

An second, the problem is often that if the windows are replaced improperly, the paint is damaged and then the window frame begins to rust and over time becomes leaky and can even destroy the window due to the expanding material.

Before gluing, a so-called primer is applied to the window frame, which forms an adhesive bridge between the painted sheet metal and the window adhesive.

The adhesive is then applied to a thickness so that the inserted windows completely displaces this adhesive and a complete seal can form all around.

But there shouldn't be so much that it comes out on the sides. So it's a certain art to apply the right amount of glue at the right place.

This is often not done correctly at glas discount stores because they are discount stores. Hurry, hurry, make a bill....

You can also change windows yourself, it's not magic, I've done it myself often enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts