Wind noise on highway for Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GolfEsq

Reaction score
Just got back from a test drive of a '15 Yukon Denali. Overall, very nice and polished truck. However, I noticed a fair amount of wind noise on the highway. Road noise was well-suppressed, but the wind noise was quite a bit louder than the high end crossovers that I have been in (from the Merc GL, to the Audi Q7 to even the Infiniti QX60). Is this normal or was there something wrong with the example I drove? I do not have a ton of experience with truck-based SUVs.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from our POV if the road noise you heard was normal of vehicle specific.

The only way to know for sure is for you to drive another one.

Tommyp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have had Tahoe LTZ for about six weeks, already had back to dealer for wind noise. They drove two others and had same wind noise. Gm sent some kind of weatherstrip to try. Haven't had time to get it installed yet.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunroof is my guess. Mine (SLT not Denali) is whisper quiet and has no sunroof. Much quieter than the Q7 we traded in.

I read a post on here somewhere about a sunroof issue... I'll try to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GolfEsq

Reaction score
Sunroof is my guess. Mine (SLT not Denali) is whisper quiet and has no sunroof. Much quieter than the Q7 we traded in.

I read a post on here somewhere about a sunroof issue... I'll try to find it.

Don't believe it was the sunroof. The salesman thought that and closed the shade but still the same. Based on the just the small sampling of comments here, seems like there is some variance with product assembly?

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is frustrating to have wind noise in a vehicle of this caliber. My new Audi A6 had issues on the drivers door. The first dealer made it worse. The second dealer filled the car with fog/smoke and could see the leak by the bottom of the drivers door not the side by the mirror. The wind noise diagnosis can be elusive. Good dealerships and skilled techs can solve problems, and the opposite is true.

zolt11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof Rack?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

I had a loose roof rack that made a terrible sound, only I couldn't figure out what was making the sound when traveling 50-70mph. Finally figure it out and the screws were striped so brought it back to GMC, they put on new one and now she just rumbles they way she should, no more weird noise...

Griff75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2015 SLT seems very quiet, we even have the roof rack and knobby tires...

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we are in different vehicles, but even in our Denali HD with the duramax you cannot hear anything inside the cab.

Are you sure you weren't hearing the cooled seat fan? I know that thing can tend to get loud.

OP
OP
G

GolfEsq

Reaction score
I know we are in different vehicles, but even in our Denali HD with the duramax you cannot hear anything inside the cab.

Are you sure you weren't hearing the cooled seat fan? I know that thing can tend to get loud.

Yup...fiddled with everything. Climate control, cooled seats, sunroof, etc. Sound was coming around the A-pillars so I do not think it was the roof rack. Again, the car had very little road noise, but wind noise on the highway was rather noticeable. In addition to the crossovers I mentioned in my first post, the Denali had far worse wind noise than the Infiniti QX80 that I test drove since then.

This could have been specific to the Denali unit I test drove, but given Tommyp's observations as well as a recent Caranddriver article on the '15 Suburban complaining of wind noise around the A-pillars, I am beginning to think it afflicts all vehicles and I am just more sensitive to it than perhaps others may be.