Why don’t my batteries last !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88m53453

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last 2 Walmart batteries died while still in full replacement time frame. Interstate in my 1988 BMW is over 20 years old. Sat for 5 plus years , charged it up and works fine ( so far )

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some high end AGM batteries like Odyssey but I have a hard time believing they’re worth twice the price of a regular battery and probably last the same amount of time and would be more difficult to warranty.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed it about a month ago. Less than $300. 48 month warranty. AGM. I do have a little trickle charger if I leave it parked for more than 5 days. ( Time will tell )

Having said that, I always keep my full-size battery jumper with me at all times.

Attachments

• 653757.jpg
    653757.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2

Boatguy

Reaction score
Original batteries in our Yukon and Honda lasted 18 months each, then dropped a cell. Replaced both under warranty and both died at around 2 years and not covered under warranty. I replaced them with Costco (interstate) batts and will replace them every 2 years as cheap insurance because we go to snowy places several times a year.

Watch out putting in any kind of lithium battery and charging it straight from the alternator. It will likely fry the alternator as a lithium battery’s internal resistance is basically a dead short. You’ll need a dc/dc charger. I deal with that in boats.

Last edited:

Coveman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know they all say ‘maintenance free’ but they do lose water over time. I got 14 years out of my T4R battery and it needed 15-20 cc of distilled water in each cell every year. Once the lead plates are exposed to air they will oxidize and it only takes one bad cell to ruin the battery. You can also recondition wet cell batteries which is why they want a core charge when you buy a new one, they recycle all that lead and sell it back to the consumer in a shiny new box.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original batteries in our Yukon and Honda lasted 18 months each, then dropped a cell. Replaced both under warranty and both died at around 2 years and not covered under warranty. I replaced them with Costco (interstate) batts and will replace them every 2 years as cheap insurance because we go to snowy places several times a year.

Watch out putting in any kind of lithium battery and charging it straight from the alternator. It will likely fry the alternator as a lithium battery’s internal resistance is basically a dead short. You’ll need a dc/dc charger. I deal with that in boats.
interesting wouldn't a lithium battery designed for a motor vehicle have a built in regulator? to prevent over voltage/charging etc.?

Toenail

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my opinion and experience a Walmart battery is the best available for the money. One flaw is that it may fail suddenly in an open state. Had this happen more than once and once in the desert. If you have 2 of them no problem as long as you know they are both good. The Duralast from Auto Zone is the best expensive battery. They will last several years and do not suddenly open up but die slowly so you have a warning. For batteries used on lawn mowers or seldom used vehicles always keep them connected to a smart charger. You will get 4 to 6 years out of a cheaper Walmart battery.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally had to replace the battery in my other car and bought another 'X2 AGM' battery. ( Infiniti)

I was going to pay half the cost, by getting a 'new' Duracell, but even they have recycled plates.
I chose un recycled X2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnimalMother