Why don’t my batteries last !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kgitti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pay good money for batteries I think, in the $200 range, and they last me from a year to 2.5 years. I’m not talking about just my 2002 Yukon, but also our Highlander and Rav 4. These have included Interstate, AAA (real junk). Diehard Gold etc.
I live in New Mexico and my vehicles live outside in the heat but jeez, has battery quality just gone in the ******* or am I buying the wrong battery?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Miami jungle heat [all year long] I get 3 years out of a battery if I am lucky. Most times around 2.5 years or less. Been getting AC Delco batteries.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I’ve had similar luck seems like if they last 3 years it’s a miracle.

When mine finally gives out I’ll be swapping over to lithium to try out its around 450-500$ but has better constant voltage quick charge and lasts 10 years supposedly
IMG_4141.jpegIMG_5336.png
420$ but by the time you get the box and mounting hardware your over 500$

I quit using interstate batteries
I’ve had good luck with my diehard so far

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay good money for batteries I think, in the $200 range, and they last me from a year to 2.5 years. I’m not talking about just my 2002 Yukon, but also our Highlander and Rav 4. These have included Interstate, AAA (real junk). Diehard Gold etc.
I live in New Mexico and my vehicles live outside in the heat but jeez, has battery quality just gone in the ******* or am I buying the wrong battery?
If your vehicles sit for long periods of time and then make short trips or let's say they are used daily but for short runs the batteries are going to prematurely wear out. Lots of short runs doesn't allow the charging system to completely recharge the battery. This causes the plates to build up sulfate which reduces their ability to hold a charge.

A battery tender can rejuvenate and maintain batteries used in a such a way. Down here in Florida, it was rare for a battery to last more than about 2 years before the introduction of smart charging system like those introduced in GM trucks around 2005. With EPM and RVC, the batteries last 4+ years now. Your older trucks don't have it but your Toyotas ought to, not sure.

Many years ago I switched our first line vehicles to ACDelco batteries and couldn't be happier. An inexpensive 48PS with a 30 month free replacement warranty lasted 48 months in one truck and almost six years in another.

The charging system in your GMT800s is not designed to properly charge an AGM battery. You can certainly use them, they just won't last as long as they would have in a vehicle with a charging system designed to charge and maintain them.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart top battery in the big size for a Tahoe has a four year replacement warranty - when I last looked. Had good luck with their batteries overall.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are much fewer battery manufacturers out there than there are battery companies - most batteries come from only 2 or 3 manufacturers.

I used to buy more expensive batteries, but found it makes little if any difference in most cases. Interstate is one that may genuinely be good - I just this past summer took an 18 year old interstate battery out of service. She was on life support, but finally gave up the ghost.

At this point, all I buy are Rural King batteries. Like $70 for a group 78 top post/side post with a handle so they fit everything and they're easy to move. They seem to last well and the price is right. I have I think 5 in rotation right now, the oldest of which is 3 or 4 years old right now which is about how long ago I switched to them. I've owned probably 8 or 9 and I think only had one die so far, and not because I treat them well.

Frankly unless it were a specific use case - lithium to save weight, deep cycle, or AGM, I wouldn't spend $100 on a battery.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for "12v24v intelligent pulse repair charger." These are available on amaozon for under 30.00 and on other sellers for less that 20.00. I have two and use the repair function often on vehicles that may sit unused for a couple of months.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2-3 years is about all a battery lasts these days. It might last more if you have a vehicle (not these trucks) that has the battery inside the car. They’re all made by only a couple of manufacturers so the brand doesn’t matter as much.

I’ve found the cheapest batteries seem to last the longest. I bought a Napa AGM for my 08 when I put in my sound system and it lasted 2 years, it was prorated so the replacement cost me $100. The AC Delco AGM battery I put in my SS started going bad right before the 3 year warranty expired so I got that one replaced for free. The cheapest AC Delco silver battery is still going strong for about 3 years now in the other truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz