whining kind of noise....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday I noticed that when my (2013 Tahoe SSV) is not under load, cruising, it tends to make a bit of a whining noise.

It doesn't do it "under load" like going up a hill, or going down a hill.

any ideas?

thanks,

Ron

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you describe the ruckus?

‘Breakfast club’ anyone?

Seriously tho maybe a sound clip would help

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you describe the ruckus?

‘Breakfast club’ anyone?

Seriously tho maybe a sound clip would help

It is not that loud to record it... I can hear it, when I turn the radio off. If on, even on a low level, I don't hear it.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not that loud to record it... I can hear it, when I turn the radio off. If on, even on a low level, I don't hear it.

Ron

Alright, I figured it out... *blush*

So first I checked if my ex wasn't in it somewhere, that wasn't the case, before I took it up to town, then I noticed when making a sharp turn, at the gas station, that the front tires were binding pretty good.

Yeah, you guessed it... it was just in 4wd, and I didn't realize it. So I am going to duck for a few now until you guys are done laughing.

Ron

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
To me, a whine usually means a bad bearing. Use a extra long screw driver as a stethoscope and probe you different accessories by putting the flat head on the housing of whatever accessory and putting your ear to the plastic handle of the long screwdriver, that will help you isolate which part could be making the noise or has a bad or on its way out bearing. My money is on the alternator bearings or maybe the tensor. I haven't had to replace or remove anything in relation to the accessories and/or drive belt components so I'm not sure which ones typically go and at around what mileage. I get a very low dull whine or almost like a high pitch pressure scraping sound and it seems like its coming from my ALT so I might end up replacing her this summer, especially if the noise gets worse and I get bored.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, a whine usually means a bad bearing. Use a extra long screw driver as a stethoscope and probe you different accessories by putting the flat head on the housing of whatever accessory and putting your ear to the plastic handle of the long screwdriver, that will help you isolate which part could be making the noise or has a bad or on its way out bearing. My money is on the alternator bearings or maybe the tensor. I haven't had to replace or remove anything in relation to the accessories and/or drive belt components so I'm not sure which ones typically go and at around what mileage. I get a very low dull whine or almost like a high pitch pressure scraping sound and it seems like its coming from my ALT so I might end up replacing her this summer, especially if the noise gets worse and I get bored.
Ummmm, he admitted he was in 4wd... perfectly normal sound for driving on dry ground in 4... or wet ground for that matter....

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi Joe,

It only did it when driving, so I don't know about the screwdriver trick. Also, I found what was making the noise, was that I had it in 4wd and I didn't realize it. (not a real good thing to drive in permanent 4wd on a surface like a road, I know.

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks