Which Michelins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
There no recalls. Tires that I see are oem equipped tires. These tires are designed to produce the most quiet and fuel efficient ride, but they usually are on the softer compound side and tend not to last long tread wise. I replaced tires a little as 18k on them. Mostly do to customer lack of proper inflation or rotations

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
There no recalls. Tires that I see are oem equipped tires. These tires are designed to produce the most quiet and fuel efficient ride, but they usually are on the softer compound side and tend not to last long tread wise. I replaced tires a little as 18k on them. Mostly do to customer lack of proper inflation or rotations
OEM tires, even Michelins may not always be the best tire for most vehicles and all purposes. OEM manufacturers will put it tire on that meets the speed and load rating for that vehicle but not much more. They contract out the tires based on the intended marketing for that vehicle. It may be a "good" tire that it rolls off the assembly line with but not the best. Most tire manufacturers will warranty their tires down to 2/32nds of an inch. How soon the tire gets there is another story. Most new car dealers won't give you a mileage warranty on a new cars tires. They will always default to saying that "the manufacturer provides a tread depth warranty".
People in general are STUPID about tires. They will go buy a car that comes with low profile, soft compound, nice looking tires, then wear them out. Then they come to your tire shop screaming, crying and blaming you when you tell them how much it will cost them to replace those specialty sized tires. Lol.

1BlinkGone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back when I worked in the Fleet Maint industry years ago, I was told that the Michelins that Costco sold were made slightly differently than the same models found at your Michelin dealers (ie a bit of cost-cutting internally); having said that and whether or not it's true, if it were ME, I'd still be buying them from a tire shop and not Costco. Get a few quotes, make a decision and dive-in....(Caveat: best price does not always mean best overall service, either) IMO, YMMV, etc..

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be just me and my family, but we've tried Michelins twice on our Grand Marquis. BOTH times, they were great tires for the first 6 months. After that, they were the slipperiest tires I've ever had, bordering on dangerous. The ones I had were the X-Ones. A tire shop convinced my sister to get Michelins, a different all season this time, but again, after 6 months, the slipperiest tire ever! No one else that I've talked to has experienced this. Perhaps Michelin designs tires for front drives which have the weight of the engine on the driving tires, and don't care about rear drive traction?

The BEST tire I've ever had was the Dunlop D60a2, I think it was. It was a performance tire, but it lasted with great traction for years.

Larry

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
When customers complain about tires scallop or cracking and want a warranty free tire, it never happens. Manufacturers want proof customer commitment to rotations services records. Hell we even had to send in tires for only them to send it back saying not a manufacturer defect.
If you want the best reviews for tires I recommend checking tire rack and reading customers reviews and rating of tires and not a tire review on a brand name website review

contraption22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious as to the molded date of the Michelin pictured earlier in this thread.

My brother has Michelin LTX M/S2's on his 2500 Suburban and absolutely loves them. The newer Defender LTX M/S uses the same tread design but has a new compound to make them more durable for today's higher torque trucks. I am wondering how if this will address the cracking issues.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread guys! I scored a set of Michelin LTX A/T2 tires last year from a shop locally that had about 500 miles on them. Paid 300 bucks mounted and balanced for all 4. I couldn't pass up the deal on them and I'd never had michelins before then, but I pulled the trigger on them. I couldn't be happier with them. In all the issues I read about in the thread, I've never experienced any of them. They are fantastic. My tires sat for 6 months over the course of the winter while I dealt with my transmission being down. I don't have any cracking or dry rot on any of my tires. They still look fantastic. They ride well, I'm meticulous about rotating, and they have all worn pretty evenly, they dont slip, and handle well around the windy mountain roads that I live on. With all this being said, I'm finding some deals because I'm staying with michelins for the 20 inch rims I just scored. Although I'm going with the M/S2 versions for my 20s which are not as beefy in the aspect of aggressive tread. But I have a lot of clients with these on their vehicles and they have all said good things about them, so I'm not worried at all about going with these tires versus he A/T2 tires that I currently have. I think overall that Michelin is a good brand.

BlaineC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, just purchased a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with about 37000 miles on it. The ride is jittery to me, and we have owned a 2005 Yukon XL since, well, 2005 (bought new). I want to change the tires but I wonder if I need to go down from the 20" rims to 18" to get the smoothest ride possible. I'm not into tricking out the vehicle at all, just want my wife to have a comfy ride. So I know the 18's will violate the coolness factor but I don't care if it makes a big difference in making the ride softer. Any comments?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just purchased a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with about 37000 miles on it. The ride is jittery to me, and we have owned a 2005 Yukon XL since, well, 2005 (bought new). I want to change the tires but I wonder if I need to go down from the 20" rims to 18" to get the smoothest ride possible. I'm not into tricking out the vehicle at all, just want my wife to have a comfy ride. So I know the 18's will violate the coolness factor but I don't care if it makes a big difference in making the ride softer. Any comments?
Yes going from 20s to 18s will improve ride quality. But as we have said in this thread specifically, tires make all the difference in the world to how your car will ride. As well as tire size. I'm going to 20s for my 2006 soon. And I'm going with a size bigger than stock so as to keep as much tire in between the road and my truck as possible. I will be sticking with michelins as I have them currently and I love the ride characteristics.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Congrats on the nice buy.

You didn't state what kind/brand of tires you're running, and that alone can make a big difference. There are PLENTY of Tahoe/Yukon drivers who run 20" tires with great results, but the wrong 20" tire is a real drag. On the other hand, going to 18" from 20" while retaining the same overall tire circumference will definitely improve ride & smoothness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACPTECHS

Latest posts