Which grease for yolk & chassis; and which t-case fluid for '98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm doing a full front and rear suspension/steering/brake overhaul on my '98 yukon.

I figure while I'm under there ill go ahead and do some preventitive maintenance for the "Drive line clunk" that I read about in the tech forum.

The only problem is I didn't quite understand which grease to use, the red crown stuff in non existent and green marine grade grease isn't much of a helper.
What name brand/ part number should I use on my yolk?

Also I have the autotrac transfer case, is the ac delco auto trac 2 the right fluid for my transfer case?

For suspension and steering I use the Mystic Green stuff from oreilly's, is there something better on the market for balljoints and steering parts?

Thanks fellas!

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was literally reading up on how to do a lube job this morning.

This is what I got out of it.
1. Any grease will do. {not sure how I feel about that}
2. GM front ends have 11 zergs.

It was a quick read, so I did not know where the fittings were.

Good luck, and post some photos if you end up getting a chance.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Use the same Grease I use for my Ball joints I picked up a Amsoil High friction Lube Cant remember the part number

And yes Auto Trak II is the fluid you need to run in that Case . IIRC It takes a little over 2 quarts or something

OP
OP
Jerky Arm Ape

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was literally reading up on how to do a lube job this morning.

This is what I got out of it.
1. Any grease will do. {not sure how I feel about that}
2. GM front ends have 11 zergs.

It was a quick read, so I did not know where the fittings were.

Good luck, and post some photos if you end up getting a chance.

I do plan to take pics and do a small write up on the job,
I am fortunate enough to have an auto lift in my personal shop so I can get in there and take some good pictures.

I figure it will cover most suspension and steering jobs that need to be performed since I'm repairing 235,*** miles worth of wear.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Thats it , I got the second one down

Alright I appreciate your help and will order a few tubes of it.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do plan to take pics and do a small write up on the job,
I am fortunate enough to have an auto lift in my personal shop so I can get in there and take some good pictures.

I figure it will cover most suspension and steering jobs that need to be performed since I'm repairing 235,*** miles worth of wear.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Alright I appreciate your help and will order a few tubes of it.

Awesome Cant wait to see them , If you provide a Nice write up with step by step and with pictures ect... Let me Know and Ill give it a sticky :party52:

OP
OP
Jerky Arm Ape

Jerky Arm Ape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drained my transfer case fluid and it was red.

Does it cause damage to use the wrong fluid? It always operated properly and there isn't any leaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667