Which 4x4 actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
what is the date on your vehicle tag. Probably on the driver door or jamb? and has it be modifed by tsb or does it look original Taht plus manufacture changes price.
Get info And I will find a one on oreilyauto.com for you too.

Last edited:

brooks93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you need the electric motor one let me know. I have a brand new one that I got thinking I needed it only to find out that it was a bad wire connection.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones with the wiring already attached are the thermal gas filled type. Over time they get slower and take longer to engage in cold weather and are more failure prone. The other type is electric so no waiting for the 4wd to kick in and are more reliable but they will require an adapter harness if yours doesn't come with that style. My 96 has the thermal gas type, I would be willing to bet yours does too.

If yours is the thermal and you want to upgrade to the electric you'll need Balkamp 6002931 and the harness is 6002944 from the link you posted. There's also some GM part #'s from this link if you want to check dealer prices but the Dorman brand is most likely the cheapest of any of them.

http://getdieselpower.com/misc_auto/actuator_upgrade/GM_TRUCK_4X4_ACTUATOR_UPGRADE.html

Actuator
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-600-600-4WD-Wire-Harness/dp/B001C6Q7Q2

Adapter harness and spacer
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Soluti..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1291955147&sr=1-1

brooks93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya switch to the electric. My 96 had it on it already but the harness was what was causing me my problems. you only need to tie in to one wire on the transfer case

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I wasnt aware of the difference. Yes I would like to upgrade to the electric actuator and my tahoe is the push button 4x4 type. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. So If I get Balkamp 6002931 and the wire harness 6002944 I will be good to go? Or do I need an adapter also for the new actuator that isnt on that napa link? And how hard is it to change out that wiring harness? Thank you!

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So If I get Balkamp 6002931 and the wire harness 6002944 I will be good to go? Or do I need an adapter also for the new actuator that isnt on that napa link?

Those 2 part #'s and sunlitcomet's wiring diagrams should get you squared away. There's a spacer included with the wiring harness too that goes in the hole that the actuator screws into, that's what that round piece is they have laying in the pic of the harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM