When adding moog coils and spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it! I think I may go with 1.5 spacers but I hear sometimes it isn't necessary cause the coils give you the right amount of height, do you know if this is true.?

My autolevel gave out so I'm unsure if I want to go get standard stock height shocks or do the level/lift route

Really, only you can answer this because all trucks sit differently. Measure how it sits at all four corners and determine from there how much lift you want and where and order whatever to get it there. Use a jack to lift it if you need a visual.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Got it! I think I may go with 1.5 spacers but I hear sometimes it isn't necessary cause the coils give you the right amount of height, do you know if this is true.?

My autolevel gave out so I'm unsure if I want to go get standard stock height shocks or do the level/lift route

It really depends. 95% only gain 1/2” some say 1-2” but I personally haven’t seen it. I think coils and 1.5” spacers are the best match up. Get 5100 shocks too.

OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score
Really, only you can answer this because all trucks sit differently. Measure how it sits at all four corners and determine from there how much lift you want and where and order whatever to get it there. Use a jack to lift it if you need a visual.

I will look into doing that, thanks.

OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score
It really depends. 95% only gain 1/2” some say 1-2” but I personally haven’t seen it. I think coils and 1.5” spacers are the best match up. Get 5100 shocks too.

By any chance do you know what are the best aftermarket keys to go with? I dont want to max the stocks to get a decent level look. You know get rid of the rake. As far as avoiding bad angles on cvs and other stuff. I shouldn't crank the aftermarket ones past from the original setting with the stock.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By any chance do you know what are the best aftermarket keys to go with? I dont want to max the stocks to get a decent level look. You know get rid of the rake. As far as avoiding bad angles on cvs and other stuff. I shouldn't crank the aftermarket ones past from the original setting with the stock.

I know you was asking Wade, but I'm gonna throw in a hint:

Stock '97-'03 Ford F-150 keys give around 1.5"-2" lift when installed with the adjusters around the stock setting. They can be cranked to around 2.5"-3". They're good for a leveling/mild lift and cheaper than aftermarket lift keys. At least they used to be cheaper than the aftermarket ones. You're gonna have to do your research on that.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score

Like @iamdub you can run ford keys. I would get eBay keys and coil spacers. No particular brand of keys matters it’s all cut steel. Just don’t crank so much the upper arms sit on droop stops. Coil spacers I prefer powder coated or anodized aluminum

OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score
I know you was asking Wade, but I'm gonna throw in a hint:

Stock '97-'03 Ford F-150 keys give around 1.5"-2" lift when installed with the adjusters around the stock setting. They can be cranked to around 2.5"-3". They're good for a leveling/mild lift and cheaper than aftermarket lift keys. At least they used to be cheaper than the aftermarket ones. You're gonna have to do your research on that.

Brother I appreciate any info I can get. Like I said on another post I'm just trying to way my options on going standard shocks or level. By adjusters you mean the bolt that sets the keys? Where can I find Ford keys besides Fordwebsite or junkyard, year?

OP
OP
K

KonXL

Reaction score
Like @iamdub you can run ford keys. I would get eBay keys and coil spacers. No particular brand of keys matters it’s all cut steel. Just don’t crank so much the upper arms sit on droop stops. Coil spacers I prefer powder coated or anodized aluminum

Awesome thanks alot man!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By adjusters you mean the bolt that sets the keys? Where can I find Ford keys besides Fordwebsite or junkyard, year?

Yes. The bolts you crank on to adjust the torsion bars. The Ford keys are indexed differently than the stock ones so they're like starting off where the stock keys would be if you were to crank them up. So, you get your lift but without maxing out the adjusters which means you can crank them down if it's too much lift. It is speculated that some aftermarket lift keys are just stock Ford keys. Maybe since this is a more widely-known thing, the Ford keys are now priced about where the aftermarket keys are/were. But it doesn't hurt to add them to your search criteria when searching for lift keys.

Search for the part number for '97-'03 Ford F150 torsion bar adjusters. You'll need two. A 5 second Google search gave me part number "XL3Z-5B328-CA". It could go by other part numbers.

If it were me, I'd borrow a torsion bar unloader tool and hit up a salvage yard. You're sure to find them dirt cheap there. You can borrow the tool for free from Autozone, they'll only require a deposit to hold on to until you return the tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212