Wheel bearing sound but definitely not wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Portland and I took my front diff to Six States Dist, they did it for $460 give or take a few $$

What was the problem in the first place, bearings? What was replaced, and did you take the differential to them or...

2004rst

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What was the problem in the first place, bearings? What was replaced, and did you take the differential to them or...

X2 What was the issue? My Yuk just started making the same noises the other day...

EastTXYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wifes 04 tahoe is making a similar noise. It sounds like humming tires, and its coming from the left front wheel area, but only really when accelerating or decelerating in between 35 and 45 mph.
Its not the front diff because this is on a 2wd

OP
OP
cutsheal5

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well got the diff apart and it was definetly the carrier bearings, its extremely bad so bad infact that the carrier bearings came right off the carrier by hand...... heres a little pic for everyone.

541478_10151396626268392_1688110232_n_zps080eb2f5.jpg

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It started out as just a slight noise when you would go into the throttle or back out of it. you could tell in was a gear whine. Pulled the drain plug and it was a metal shower coming out. Pulled the front diff and and I got lucky that is was the carrier brgs. They say it's very common. some fail as early as 75k and others seem to make it 150k but in the end it's the weak aluminium case and design.
I hope to swap in my 2wd trans and rear driveline before I ever have to do it again.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started out as just a slight noise when you would go into the throttle or back out of it. you could tell in was a gear whine. Pulled the drain plug and it was a metal shower coming out. Pulled the front diff and and I got lucky that is was the carrier brgs. They say it's very common. some fail as early as 75k and others seem to make it 150k but in the end it's the weak aluminium case and design.
I hope to swap in my 2wd trans and rear driveline before I ever have to do it again.
For this carrier bearing does the whole differential have to be removed? Or can the bearings be changed with the unit still bolted up? I never repaired a rear end or anything so this will be my first time. Tear down and removal ain't a problem its just what's inside I never messedwith.

bigbird189

Reaction score
I just replaced the front differential bearings. My 05 denali was making a whinning sound from acceleration to deceleration. found out that my seal was leaking and leaked out almost all the oil. I replaced the bearings and seals and took it for a test drive, and problem went away. The race was still good so I didn't have to replace that. My bearings had some major pitting going on.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didnt replace your race's with your bearings you will be replacing them sooner. It is always best to replace the bearing and race together. most all re-builders replaces in pairs.

once the bearing starts to wear there is a pattern worn into the race, you shorted the life of your bearings by many miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz