What is this thing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
So I've had my Tahoe a while now and i have been wondering what the hell is this thing that is supposed to be bolted to the front frame horns? There is one on each side of the frame behind the bumper, any ideas?

This is the one hanging off my passanger side
IMG_20110814_194425.gif

And this is the one still bolted on to the drivers side
IMG_20110814_194441.gif

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell in those pics, but abs sensor or O2 sensor is my guess

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
air bag sensor x2. if you look at the connectors on top of the frame rails they are yellow in color.

yellow= airbag components :D

OP
OP
78mc-bbc

78mc-bbc

Reaction score
yup its for the airbag, thanks for the help guys. guess i'll have to stop at the local yard and pull one off that still has the mounting bracket connected to it

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Discriminating Sensors: There are two discriminating sensors in the air bag system. They are wired in parallel on the low (ground) side of the deployment loop. These sensors are calibrated to close with speed changes severe enough to warrant deployment.
A diagnostic resistor is connected in parallel with the switch contacts within each of the discriminating sensors. These parallel resistors supply the ground path for the current passing through the deployment loop during normal operation. This current flow results in voltage drops across each component in the deployment loop. The DERM monitors these voltage drops to detect malfunctions.

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o2 sensors are in your exhaust :)
abs sensors are either on your wheel bearing or backing plates etc etc.

Yeah thats why i said its hard to see in those pics, so rusted couldnt tell what i was looking at lol
The wifes car has plugs like that for abs that run down to the backing plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_hyde