What is this? Have looked everywhere online. Oil cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OmniCamaro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have looked online for this part but all I see are trans coolers and they do not have this hose. The hose runs from the top corner of the passenger side radiator into this cooler which I thought was just a trans cooler but....
It's leaking way too much and I'm 99% sure it's oil. I haven't looked at the other side much, to see where the other hose goes but again, I'm sure it's oil.

Any help is appreciated. (2001 Tahoe Lt 5.3 4x4)

bed0515340cfdf6c82df1f2f90844cc2.jpg
15ec3129caa05f84f2fdef9324d7ad17.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Looks aftermarket. Not sure but my 04 had the oil cooler integrated into the radiator.

kebm

Reaction score
There should be another line connected near the bottom of the radiator on the same side. Follow that line to either the trans, the oil filter adapter, or ?? My yukon has trans line connected to the passenger side of the rad, oil line on the driver side, and a small power steering cooler on the drivers side.
Is the cooler itself leaking, or just the hose? If it is the hose you can get new hose at any auto supply.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm like OP have posted, probably been added by previous owner, follow lines to verify they are connected to the oil filter, and the leakage could be a small pin hole in a hose which has been also mentioned is easily fix and available @ auto store. JMHO, good luck.
David g....................:)

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the grill and see what's going on. It doesn't look like it's mounted to anything and looks like it's got debris on it so it may not be cooling whatever it's hooked up to. Trace line from radiator back to find the source like said before and it doesn't look factory. I have my aftermarket Trans cooler mounted there and the lines run thru that gap behind the bumper to the trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

OmniCamaro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah it's only zip tied into place. It's the hoses that are leaking and I do plan on getting new ones.
It's definitely not factory connections, band clamps on both ends.
I just had the front end off to flush out the cooling system and should have taken better pictures then but I was on a mission at the time to get that done. I'll trace the other line to see where it goes soon.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side hoses are trans, driver side are oil.

2002DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's an aftermarket trans-cooler installed in series of the radiator. Probably put in there to help keep the 60e cooler to help it live a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076