what is this from and how do i fix it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brake rotors just recently started to look like this. they also squeak like you wouldnt believe when i start driving. goes away completely after about 5 minutes.
what has caused this and how do i get rid of the rust ( if possible)

99 tahoe 4x4 133k miles

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 51

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any car that sits outside will rust up on therotor pretty quick....more so where there is salt and snow. You up north here?

So, assuming you are up north that is a chmical reaction of salt and water. Salt is a very aggressive chemical when mixed with water.

OP
OP
P

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I live in Florida. And I knew it was normal for them to rust just thought that was a lot an could be contributing to the squeaking

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Mine sat for 8 or so years and rusted a bit. Drove it and good as new:) squeeking didn't happen for me

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your brake pads are prolly glazed, which will make them squeal pretty badly. I've taken a file to the pads to roughen up the surface. It happens when the brakes get hot from heavy use. When it's time to replace the pads, do the rotors too with the napa high performance rotors and severe duty pads, they will make a night and day difference in braking performance.

OP
OP
P

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my calipers started to stick on me so i made the mistake of buying the cheap auto parts store replacements. those are about 6 months old and they are rusted pretty bad.

when its time to replace i plan on doing calipers, rotors, and pads all at once.
any good suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfire