What is the best 22" tire for a smooth ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have Michelin Premier tires on my 2016 Denali with a little over 40,000 on them. They are nearly down to the wear bars. The truck came with Bridgestones which I hated and GM changed them for me. In looking around I found that the Michelins have less tread to start with than any other tire I looked at. Only 8/32 compared to 11/32 to 12/32 for other brands. That could explain why I won't see 60,000 miles. My question is, who makes the best alternative to Michelin for a smooth ride with decent tire wear? I won't consider Bridgestone. In the past, I have had very good luck with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A but they don't offer a 22" tire in the size I need. Has anyone tried Pirelli, Goodyear or Continental tires?

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would go with Michelin again.

I like the long trail also, but if they don make the size, I would go Mich again if it were me.

mfennema

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I bought my Tahoe, the dealership we bought it from had put on Nitto Crosstek 22" tires. They seem to be pretty good.

OP
OP
DennisT

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just looked up the Defender and it looks like a good option with 2/32's more tread. I also talked to a local shop that I use and they recommended the Defender and the Pirelli Scoprion Verde Plus.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I just looked up the Defender and it looks like a good option with 2/32's more tread. I also talked to a local shop that I use and they recommended the Defender and the Pirelli Scoprion Verde Plus.

for sure...I originally wen with the Premiers but have since gone with the defenders (two different vehicles) and they offer a lot more tread and after 30k still look close to new. The premiers were gone at 30k on our 15 yukon. switched them out with the defenders and when we sold it they still looked like new with around 30k miles on them.

The first thing I did with our 17 suburban was install 22" Defenders. Night and day ride compared to the oem bridgestones.

I put a set of defenders(20") on my Grand Cherokee this past spring and 20k miles in so far and they look to easily last 60k if not longer.

Jeremy Biagiotti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Defenders!!

tmarzetta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I prefer the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I’ve had them for over a year now, and they strike a good balance between firmness and smooth/bouncy for me. I always found the Michelin’s to soft and bouncy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurtDawg77

Latest posts