What is the best 22 inch tire??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing alot of research an kuhmo sound like a bad investment guess i might just have to go with the 20 inch rims an michellin tires booooo lol

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas anyone have any input on kumho ecsta stx??? An those anyone leave there 22's on year round because I want to purchase a set of all black rims so I want have to change them in the winter even though I live in MD an we don't see that much snow in the winter

I've run dozens of different sets of Kumhos. They're a decent tire company. The only thing you should be worried about, is price, treadlife rating and tread/performance style. Find the specs you're looking for, then buy the cheapest matching tire. They all come with warranties, if I'm not mistaken. Watch your wallet, not your tires name!

My2NeWay?

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chip I've read over 50 reviews an majority complained about real low thread life like 10-15k then bald very loud on highway speed an balance problems

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chip I've read over 50 reviews an majority complained about real low thread life like 10-15k then bald very loud on highway speed an balance problems

Yeah, I know. I used to be one of those people. Then I got tired of not knowing anything about tires and learned about tread compounds. The thing about Kumho is that they will sell you a tire that lasts 10K miles on a DD. What you're not realizing is that you just bought a super soft, super sticky race tire. A pretty damn cheap one too! They have great prices on all kinds of tires. That's why it's so important to be aware of tread life ratings. The higher the number, the higher the tread life.

OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oo ok I see were.your coming from now well the 22's I want come with the kuhmo stx so I guess I'll just ride them out then invest in a better quality tire

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the quality is fine. There's always a trade off. If you get ****** milage from the tires, you'll get better traction, so there is no real "win/lose".

sirblade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this thread is a lil old, but the subject closely matches what I have been looking for.

I am also planning on running 22s on my stock height 03' Denali.

I have seen different tires sizes recommended but not sure why people choose those sizes. What size are you running and how is the ride?

Whats the different between 305/40-22 and 285/50-22, ride quality wise? This is a daily highway driver.

Thanks

gen3usa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
to answer your question the 305's are wider, the 50 is thicker tire height, if your highways are like ours out here, the 305's like to follow ruts real bad, i have the 305's on mine and my buddy has the same hoe with the 285's, and his drives so much nicer on the crappy roads! but i do like the look of the wider width! just wish the state would take better care of our highways!

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to answer your question the 305's are wider, the 50 is thicker tire height, if your highways are like ours out here, the 305's like to follow ruts real bad, i have the 305's on mine and my buddy has the same hoe with the 285's, and his drives so much nicer on the crappy roads! but i do like the look of the wider width! just wish the state would take better care of our highways!

+1. What's up Vancouver!? I see you way out there! I used to live in B-Ham.

Anyway, back on topic. He's right ^^. The 285/50 series is the correct stock replacement size. The 305/40s are the plus size equivalent, and the best looking replacement size IMO. Both tires still give you the same overall rolling diameter, so they will both give you relatively accurate speedometer readings. It's more about what looks best to you. The skinnier tires will likely handle better in the rain and when braking, and the 305s will walk in road grooves, but I wouldn't trade my 305s for anything. They look great, and I can still hop curbs if I need to. I love them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
06xl

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with falken tires 305/45/22 an I absolutely love them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member