What in the world is on there Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Illinois Statie officer has one, probably 2 years old. 6.0 liter, 6L90 six speed trans, 3.42 gears, special police Goodyear tires that have a wear rating of just 200 (so very soft). His patrol is 18-wheelers on the interstate so his is geared to pull 120 with ease. Oh and it's 2WD. I told him I want to buy it when it goes to auction, would make a heck of a tow vehicle

6.0L? I'm pretty sure the 6.0L was only available in the 2500 long wheelbase trucks. They did make some 6.2L civilian Tahoe's, though. I'd love to have one. I've never seen or heard of a NNBS PPV equipped with a 6.0L.

MayhemJoe

Reaction score
I have 07 and it has 5.3 ** motor heads are 799 casting off a ls6 motor and its stock and hauls ass!! I put tow hitch on it and tow boats and lawn trailer like not back there and it has air ducks for front breaks also,and there is some difference in the reg tahoe mine has bigger radiator,breaks,no traction control or tow button,bigger alternator and dual batteries fans come on sooner temp and trans shifts harder on wot. If it don't sale soon I am doing dod delete and a tsp 220 cam and tune !!!!
I have an 08 PPV and thought about adding a hitch. What route did you go? Did you use a factory or aftermarket?

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have no interior and are stripped from all of there amenities. So, technically, they are reduced in weight. And of course they're lacking the hitch.
I've never heard of 6.0 or 6.2 never mind having cams or any kind of aftermarket accessories added, especially boost.

MayhemJoe,
They don't make an aftermarket hitch for our trucks. I have an 07 PPV. I found my hitch on car-parts.com. Its technical term is a "rebar", go through there site or try some yards that are GM specific. You'll probably have better luck with an online source.

MayhemJoe

Reaction score
They have no interior and are stripped from all of there amenities. So, technically, they are reduced in weight. And of course they're lacking the hitch.
I've never heard of 6.0 or 6.2 never mind having cams or any kind of aftermarket accessories added, especially boost.

MayhemJoe,
They don't make an aftermarket hitch for our trucks. I have an 07 PPV. I found my hitch on car-parts.com. Its technical term is a "rebar", go through there site or try some yards that are GM specific. You'll probably have better luck with an online source.
Cool. Thank you

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what its being used for, and who ordered it.
Most of them with have the following changes from your average Hoe.

Smaller diameter tires.
3.73 or 4.10 gearing.
Trans has different shift solenoids, and tune.
Motor has different tune from factory.
2wd.
They leave a lot of things off them such as the trailer hitch to save weight. Geared up they come in vary close to most normal production units, but before all that there lighter for sure.
Stiffer suspension makes it feel faster as it doesn't squat as bad.

In reality there not much faster then why you could get off the show room floor. But they "Feel" a bit faster when you drive one.

I have had the opportunity to drive an 08 that's owned by the city (It is an exact twin of the 3 we have that are used for patrol.) and it gets used for city business.
It feels much faster then my 07 Yukon. But, I have been able to race it with my Yukon as well. And its really not much faster. 0-75mph it only pulls on me by about one and a half lengths.

But to drive it it feels faster then that. It feels more responsive, and faster the mine.
I would have bet money that it would pull 3 lengths or more on me to 75.

bizrjr

Reaction score
I'm an officer in PA. In talking with our fleet guy he said you wouldn't find or be able to performance mod a patrol car unless it was a seizure car like a mustang with a super charger from a drug case that's now used for highway patrol or something and typically they can't be used for patrol more like DARE or community service cars . The city/township etc would have to get the engineer involved for specs, insurance issues, maintenance and so on aka huge money. Otherwise police vehicles typically are just a bare bones vehicle sometimes with upgraded alternators, hoses, trans coolers etc. No tax money on adding super chargers and such would be allowed. I'd think the alleged trooper supercharged cars are ex patrol cars now privately owned or show cars. If I'm wrong awesome but I'm 99% sure they don't exist as gov owned patrol cars.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Too much liability with such mods. That and spending the public's tax money isn't going to happen, either.

These vehicles have NO different a tune than the civilian Tahoes, and other then the additional coolers and electrical power capabilities are little different from the civilian Tahoes. They do seem to run well, though, and I bet most of that is just from the smaller-diameter tires.

I'm an officer in PA. In talking with our fleet guy he said you wouldn't find or be able to performance mod a patrol car unless it was a seizure car like a mustang with a super charger from a drug case that's now used for highway patrol or something and typically they can't be used for patrol more like DARE or community service cars . The city/township etc would have to get the engineer involved for specs, insurance issues, maintenance and so on aka huge money. Otherwise police vehicles typically are just a bare bones vehicle sometimes with upgraded alternators, hoses, trans coolers etc. No tax money on adding super chargers and such would be allowed. I'd think the alleged trooper supercharged cars are ex patrol cars now privately owned or show cars. If I'm wrong awesome but I'm 99% sure they don't exist as gov owned patrol cars.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Too much liability with such mods. That and spending the public's tax money isn't going to happen, either.

These vehicles have NO different a tune than the civilian Tahoes, and other then the additional coolers and electrical power capabilities are little different from the civilian Tahoes. They do seem to run well, though, and I bet most of that is just from the smaller-diameter tires.

x2

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was lead to believe that the PPVs have a different tune compared to civilian models.

Is there somewhere that states this fact? I need this info for my own sanity.

I had a "tune" done to my 07 PPV and the shop never saved my tune.
No dealer around me has proven to know what I'm talking about when I ask for a re-flash and I'm having a hard time trusting most if not all shops around me. If this is true, I can go to one person I know to have him re-flash a newer Tahoe's tune in mine. He can save that tune, use it as a baseline and we can go from there for further tuning.
Then I'd be happy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts