What gasoline brand and what octane do you guys use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learned a long time ago that the higher the octane rating, the better an engine runs which means, cooler, more power when needed and most importantly to me, better gas mileage. Those cheap gas stations offer just that, cheap gas that robs you of miles per gallon. Doesn't matter which kind of car, I get 2mpg better mileage sticking with Mobil or Sunoco 93. Brands matter too. Go to Shell or Speedway and mileage drops off quite noticeably. Twenty five years ago Shell was the best save for 94 and 104 Sunoco but not anymore. Ten years ago Chevron was pretty good too and now not as good today.

Wish they'd quit putting corn in our gasoline, that alone robbed us all of about 2mpg.

As for me and my house, we strive to use a particular Sunoco here on the Treasure Coast of Florida, we always get the best gas mileage from our cars from the 93 octane gas at this station. The other stations' fuel is not as good for some reason. Work out your own salvation with regards to fuel and you'll save more than dollars.

Holgrinator

Reaction score
My father and two of my uncle's work at the local Chevron Refinery. They've heard horror stories from some of their new hires about what some of the other local refineries are willing to ship out. For that reason I use Chevron. Lowest octane I can get without pre-detonation (87 at this altitude). Octane rating is nothing more than how hard the fuel is to ignite. The higher the octane rating the harder the fuel is to ignite. Our trucks just don't require a higher octane rating in most cases. But if you like buying premium it won't hurt. Mileage changes are shown to be marginal once you factor in the extra bit of money spent.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Ok guys I buy most of my gas at Sheetz, 87 octane, run 93 in the Harley. Now most of you have no idea how we get out gas. I live near Greensboro NC , We have a large tank farm Fuel, IE gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel and Jet fuel comes from the south LA, TX in the same pipe. that pipe runs all the way to NJ it's the Colonial Pipeline you can see their tank farm from I95 The fuels used to be separated by a large orange rubber ball while some operator was watching a sight glass. they did away with the ball, now each load is separated by water, same guy same sight glass, sees the load change and opens or closes a valve. I had a neighbor that was a manager of one of the terminals he got fired after somebody, not him overfilled a tank. ok so All gas is pretty much the same . there you have it!!

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.7L, 87 octane, Citgo, Sams Club, Shell, Chevron, normally whoever has lowest price. I've used the store bought chevron injector cleaner once

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 5.3 flex, I get 87 whoever has it the cheapest. Except Caseys, I don't like Caseys gas. I dump in some lucas fuel conditioner every couple of tanks just for the hell of it, get it by the quart at walmart and it'll treat 100 gallons for $8. $0.08 per gallon is a deal imo. Cheap insurance/cleaning since I don't buy fancy gas and I don't use it every tank lol.
I've switched to 91 ethanol free in all of our riding lawn mowers, push mowers, blowers, weedeaters, etc. Ethanol really plays hell with fuel systems on small engines and older vehicles, as I'm sure you all know. Since the switch I'm no longer putting fuel lines the equipment every year or two and they run smoother and longer between fill-ups.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use whatever is cheapest (most of the time Sam's Club), 87 octane in my 5.3.
I once tried out a tank of each octane in my '91 GMC S-15 Jimmy from one of the local gas stations that offered 87, 89, 91, 92, and 93.
The 4.3 in that Jimmy liked 89 best, and got about 2MPG better with it. Anything higher was a waste.
But then gas got expensive, so I put 87 in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE