Pinging at WOT...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when on the highway driving at say 50 MPH then giving the 2005 Yukon Denali WOT I get a sound that sounds to me like pinging for a bit before stopping...

I am the relatively new owner of this 2005 Yukon Denali 6.0...I am on my 3rd tankful in my ownership and the first tankful I used Mobil 87 octane and two bottles of Chevron Techron...since then I have used Costco 87 octane gasoline...both Top Tier gasolines which I have never had an issue with prior to this vehicle...ChicagoLand area of Illinois

there are no known modifications on my truck and I have cleaned the MAF, the throttle body and the air filter is a new AC Delco...I have not changed the plugs, plug wires or gas filter and have an original 72K miles on this Denali...I've hesitated to replace plugs, wires as the truck starts first time every time and doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise

some of what I've read here is to switch to super unleaded fuel or at least mid grade...it has never been my experience that going to a higher octane in a vehicle designed to run on 87 helps...

I defer to your greater experience with this but I have owned a 2000 Escalade 5.7 and a 2002 Avalanche 5.3 in the past...I do recall the 2002 Avalanche 5.3 doing this once in awhile but I chalked that up to the air intake and oiled air filter I had on that...

any help or advice you scare to share would be appreciated

Bill

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when on the highway driving at say 50 MPH then giving the 2005 Yukon Denali WOT I get a sound that sounds to me like pinging for a bit before stopping...

I am the relatively new owner of this 2005 Yukon Denali 6.0...I am on my 3rd tankful in my ownership and the first tankful I used Mobil 87 octane and two bottles of Chevron Techron...since then I have used Costco 87 octane gasoline...both Top Tier gasolines which I have never had an issue with prior to this vehicle...

there are no known modifications on my truck and I have cleaned the MAF, the throttle body and the air filter is a new AC Delco...I have not changed the plugs, plug wires or gas filter and have an original 72K miles on this Denali...I've hesitated to replace plugs, wires as the truck starts first time every time and doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise

some of what I've read here is to switch to super unleaded fuel or at least mid grade...it has never been my experience that going to a higher octane in a vehicle designed to run on 87 helps...

I defer to your greater experience with this but I have owned a 2000 Escalade 5.7 and a 2002 Avalanche 5.3 in the past...I do recall the 2002 Avalanche 5.3 doing this once in awhile but I chalked that up to the air intake and oiled air filter I had on that...

Bill
From the owners manual for a 2005 Yukon Denali
23A569B9-02AF-4425-ABAA-ED868DAC8713.jpeg
Guess GM expects it to do what you’re experiencing.

Might try a higher octane rating and see what happens.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and somehow I missed that...thanks SO much for the help...I may try 93 octane at next fill up but honestly I've only heard the pinging 3 times in my ownership 1 month/650 miles and only when mashing the gas pedal from about 45/50 MPH getting on the expressway/highway...

Thanks again!

Bill

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and somehow I missed that...thanks SO much for the help...I may try 93 octane at next fill up but honestly I've only heard the pinging 3 times in my ownership 1 month/650 miles and only when mashing the gas pedal from about 45/50 MPH getting on the expressway/highway...

Thanks again!

Bill
No problem.

Looks like another case of RTFM to me. :emotions33:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!

Bill
Our cabs are so well insulated it's near impossible to hear most of it. You can see it with a scan tool though. We only burn 93 and rarely see any knocking or pinging.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only use 93 octane in my 6.2. You could try 91 octane first, and if the pings go away, you will save a bit on fuel costs versus 93 octane.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am the relatively new owner of this 2005 Yukon Denali 6.0...I am on my 3rd tankful in my ownership and the first tankful I used Mobil 87 octane and two bottles of Chevron Techron...since then I have used Costco 87 octane gasoline...both Top Tier gasolines which I have never had an issue with prior to this vehicle...ChicagoLand area of Illinois

Bill

Thanks again!

Bill

Personally, I don't like ANY pinging under load. Pinging is still spark knock/pre-detonation, just in mild form. But, still harmful, IMO. I believe there are some things that GM considers "normal" that should be questioned. Their allowance for oil consumption is ridiculous.

I'd run 89 or higher of Top Tier fuels. My bet is 89 would reduce the severity and 91-93 would eliminate it. I suspect that it's only a recent occurrence due to the warmer weather. Maybe the ambient temps weren't so high a month ago? Your 2000 Escalade had a Gen 2- a totally different engine with lower compression and a milder tune to avoid spark knock (pinging) altogether. The '02 Avalanche had a Gen 3 LS engine very similar to your current Denali engine which is a much stronger design over the Gen 2. Instead of being tuned to always stay safely below the pinging threshold, it's tuned to "ride the line" and dial it back a little when it detects pinging. Running higher octane fuel allows it to stay riding that line and giving you its best.

If your Denali is a FlexFuel vehicle and you're okay with buying high octane gas, you can run E85 and come out ahead financially and performance-wise.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I would do what is free and that is spray some water mist into intake and it will remove any carbon buildup off the piston crowns. This carbon buildup actually raises your compression ratio which is unwanted and not programmed into your PCM. The cold mist strikes the hot carbon on the piston crowns and the carbon instantly flakes off and is expelled out the exhaust. No harm, no foul.
Also, during your experience of pinging is your CEL light on or flashing? Read any codes?

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no CEL on or flashing...no codes viewed from several scans with my BlueDriver scanner...thanks guys...the only time I have heard the pinging is 3 times in 700 miles now and only when I did the WOT/flattened the gas pedal on the highway...and it doesn't do this continually

thanks for the help

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts