What gasoline brand and what octane do you guys use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve34459

Reaction score
Out of curiosity , what do you guys use. Either 5.3 or 6.2. Im in socal so the options include chevron, shell, mobil, sams club , costco, etc. 87, 89, and 91 octane.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use only 87 Mobil in my 5.3..I use Mobil as their stations are always well maintained IMHO..Threw the years I know of people getting a tank full of dirt from poorly maintained stations.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since getting into my daily driver Tahoe with 5.3 motor I've been buying 87 or 89 octane from Sheetz since it's cheap and less than 2 miles from my house.

However, since my in-person tune with Justin of Black Bear Performance, who noticed knocking based on his 89 octane tune, I believe that there definitely are better and lesser quality fuels.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During all the years of driving, I've never made the brand of fuel a big deal. As long as the octane is what is needed.

Never had any issues due to any gas I've gotten. At least not that I know of. YMMV

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to buy anywhere that has non-Middle-Eastern gas (Valero, Murphy, BP, Pilot, Love's, RaceTrac...) and that has non-Ethanol gas. Being that it's pretty much impossible to determine the exact origin of the gas (actually oil) with some of those brands, I adhere more towards finding ethanol-free gas. As for the octane rating, I recently found that 89 or higher does better in my Tahoe- no preignition under load and better economy.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
I typically buy Kroger just for the savings and there's several within a couple miles of my house. If I can't get to a Kroger, QuikTrip is my choice. 87 octane either way

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quiktrip or Costco. Both are TopTier.

Kroger also an option because of the gas points...

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 08 Suburban, I used 87 octane, which is the recommended fuel. I also try to use top tier fuel which is usually within a couple of pennies per gallon and sometimes cheaper than the off-brand stations. The primary stations we have are Exxon,BP and Shell as well as Costco. These practices also apply to my cars and new Suburban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts