What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, she was a drunk on oil!

LOL. No kidding! I didn't realize how bad it got till I started paying attention to it and the mileage. At the 100K mark she was using about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil. Mechanic said that piston ring replacement was most likely not to far away if I wanted to keep driving her. The dealer where I got the new whip gave me $8K as trade in, even with my mileage, major rust bubbles on all four doors and lower part of the tailgate, so I took his offer and put that towards the new ride.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. No kidding! I didn't realize how bad it got till I started paying attention to it and the mileage. At the 100K mark she was using about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil. Mechanic said that piston ring replacement was most likely not to far away if I wanted to keep driving her. The dealer where I got the new whip gave me $8K as trade in, even with my mileage, major rust bubbles on all four doors and lower part of the tailgate, so I took his offer and put that towards the new ride.
Most likely they'll knock the rust down, give her a cheap paint job and sell for $15k and within a year the next owner will have a rusted up Av with a new motor (that they'll have to pay for on their dime :lol:)

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's exactly what they are going to do. I was quoted $1000-1250 for the doors and another $400 for the leading edge of the hood to get resprayed but my shop would not guarantee the work saying the rust will be back within a year or two. I'm sure the dealership will respray it for 1/3 of that price. It was the bottom edge of each door, about an inch and in the middle. Rust was about 8-10 in length along each edge. For now it was just bubbling the paint, but it was ready to flake any minute. I was really surprised on how fast it attacked the doors over winter as it wasn't that bad in the fall. What sucks is I just put in a brand new AFM plate in January on the motor. UGH. The sales guy was telling me that his dad was looking for a GM truck and his dad would love it. I didn't want to tell him that maybe his dad should pass, especially on the oil consumption issue. Otherwise it's a kick ass truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's exactly what they are going to do. I was quoted $1000-1250 for the doors and another $400 for the leading edge of the hood to get resprayed but my shop would not guarantee the work saying the rust will be back within a year or two. I'm sure the dealership will respray it for 1/3 of that price. It was the bottom edge of each door, about an inch and in the middle. Rust was about 8-10 in length along each edge. For now it was just bubbling the paint, but it was ready to flake any minute. I was really surprised on how fast it attacked the doors over winter as it wasn't that bad in the fall. What sucks is I just put in a brand new AFM plate in January on the motor. UGH. The sales guy was telling me that his dad was looking for a GM truck and his dad would love it. I didn't want to tell him that maybe his dad should pass, especially on the oil consumption issue. Otherwise it's a kick ass truck.

Yeah, the oil consumption in mine went away when I tuned out the AFM so hopefully that helps me there and so far I don't have any rust on mine but once rust starts it just keeps coming at ya regardless of what you do. I've got 169k on my 07 now and will have 175-180 by end of summer (because of a couple road trips). So far she runs like a champ but hopefully mine doesn't start consuming oil at that clip once it hits 200 :(

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic I just remembered I had. I took this on Sunday afternoon after putting about 70-80 miles on her. I drained the catch can in the morning so I know it was empty. After coming back home (combination of highway and suburb driving) I drained the can and this is how much came out. I think that's also at capacity of my catch can, so who knows how much more oil she drank.

d7d954f273a56eaa74c227985fe44b29.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that's insane!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members