What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there certain years that are more likely to have the charcoal cannister leaking pellets problem, or the entire GMT900 generation?

honestly no clue.. the threads I've seen are older trucks but it's probably mileage based, so older having more miles makes sense. I've always seen the theory some people over fill their tank more than others causing issues. it does seem like the manufacture changed at some point. my oem says expert on it, the replacement says stant. stant might have just bought them out thou.. I think they did that with a lot of thermostats. still can find Motorrad on them in a stant box somethings.

most just consider it maintance item around 130 or so. something easy ish to change but once failed it becomes a nightmare.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
I've always seen the theory some people over fill their tank more than others causing issues.
Every time I am at a gas station, I see people clicking the filler handle over and over making sure that fuel is all the way at the top of the filler neck.
Anyone that has taken a look at the evap system knows the vapor return is up at the top of the filler neck and if you get fuel flowing back into the vapor line, it will contaminate your canister and your valve.

When I fill up, after the first click I am done.
On occasion, this means that I am slightly below completely full but that doesn't bother me as much as needing to shotgun my entire evap system.

A few years ago I did the evap valve, vent and lines on my sister's 2009 Silverado.
Canister was fine and has been fine thus far.
The new kit recommended mounting the vent up higher by the filler neck to move it from the lower position along the frame where it is exposed to more road grime and to prevent a siphon action should someone overfill the tank.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I am at a gas station, I see people clicking the filler handle over and over making sure that fuel is all the way at the top of the filler neck.
Anyone that has taken a look at the evap system knows the vapor return is up at the top of the filler neck and if you get fuel flowing back into the vapor line, it will contaminate your canister and your valve.

When I fill up, after the first click I am done.
On occasion, this means that I am slightly below completely full but that doesn't bother me as much as needing to shotgun my entire evap system.

A few years ago I did the evap valve, vent and lines on my sister's 2009 Silverado.
Canister was fine and has been fine thus far.
The new kit recommended mounting the vent up higher by the filler neck to move it from the lower position along the frame where it is exposed to more road grime and to prevent a siphon action should someone overfill the tank.

I will admit that I didn't know any better years ago and when on road trips we'd always do a few extra clicks. but know better now.

we had a Ford at work that never really got used, just sat parked to side, turns out the fuelers would come by every week and top off the tank. when it did get used they would be driving down the highway and it randomly shut off. after we spent some time trying to figure it out, finally noticed any time the valve would open it would go pig rich and die. took the canister off and it was completely full of fuel. ended up having to put a locking gas cap on it and take it off site when it needs fuel.

such a hassle but it never lost it charcoal and it was probably like that for years before it actually killed the engine

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well huh.. I guess I got a bad charcoal canister from rock auto. put the old one back on a while ago, just checked today and it passed its test.

View attachment 426230

guess I'm testing how you warranty stuff from ra for the first time and 6 months after I got it lol.

What is that you are using to read the the emissions test?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnQSmith