What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimmed the rear bump stops. The ride is MUCH nicer.

I had noticed that the truck seemed a bit 'bouncy' even over little irregularities in the road. Figuring that the suspension had probably finally settled a bit, I got the truck in the air to have a look. Sure enough, it was. I whacked about a 1/2" off the end of the bump stops. The ride is much improved!

Should handle even better on the autocross course!!

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://peakspeedshop.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_127_129&products_id=477

Has anyone ever considered a ported intake manifold?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The OEM GM intake manifolds are pretty good units as-is. Their site describes what they do, but don't show any dyno results to indicate what their work would do. At the prices they're charging, I'd expect some more information.

OTOH, there appears to be a fair amount of discussion on other forums about a Dorman 'truck intake' that looks like it may have some promise. The plenum is larger, and some are saying it may hurt low-end torque, which is what is needed in a truck, but I have found zero back-to-back comparisons between it and a factory intake. Still, these Dorman intakes are not terribly expensive, even compared to OEM, so it might be worth a try.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the source of a metallic "pinging" sound I've been hearing for a couple of weeks.

Apparently, when I bent the heat shield away for clearance when making my resonator delete, it cracked by one of the two mounting ears when I bent it back into position and eventually broke. I didn't know it was aluminum. I thought it was regular galvanized sheet metal like I'm used to seeing:

1B64229C-E3D8-47D4-A455-FEE2367E1DF8_zpsh6zhnqrh.jpg

I intended to weld it back together but couldn't find the contact tips for my spool gun. Wanting it fixed today, I made a new tab with galvanized sheet metal cut from a heat shield I had in my scrap metal stock. Yes, I cut and weld metal in flip-flops:

F3D78B71-40A1-4A10-BB22-45BA17CF3951_zpsa9ecfopu.jpg

Bolted it on, drilled a hole and spray-bombed it with aluminum-colored paint to make it look legit:

A45A796B-6E8A-4680-8FE1-FFF905984B3F_zpsx5aeob96.jpg

Made sure to use nothing less than grade 8.8 for structural reliability!:emotions34:

59FD79FD-0A4B-47E3-A5DA-41A506B9759E_zpsxrnkjrvm.jpg

It fell right into place. You can see the fabbed ear in the background:

A6624460-D1D0-4DBE-B1B5-C288F2B30EDD_zpsruuwyknz.jpg

While under there, I think I found some of this "rust" stuff I hear about on these forums. I guess that's to be expected at 157,000 miles:

35A97697-464C-421C-AD0C-B0DD0EBD8CA7_zpsp1xtuanc.jpg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the source of a metallic "pinging" sound I've been hearing for a couple of weeks.

Apparently, when I bent the heat shield away for clearance when making my resonator delete, it cracked by one of the two mounting ears when I bent it back into position and eventually broke. I didn't know it was aluminum. I thought it was regular galvanized sheet metal like I'm used to seeing:

1B64229C-E3D8-47D4-A455-FEE2367E1DF8_zpsh6zhnqrh.jpg

I intended to weld it back together but couldn't find the contact tips for my spool gun. Wanting it fixed today, I made a new tab with galvanized sheet metal cut from a heat shield I had in my scrap metal stock. Yes, I cut and weld metal in flip-flops:

F3D78B71-40A1-4A10-BB22-45BA17CF3951_zpsa9ecfopu.jpg

Bolted it on, drilled a hole and spray-bombed it with aluminum-colored paint to make it look legit:

A45A796B-6E8A-4680-8FE1-FFF905984B3F_zpsx5aeob96.jpg

Made sure to use nothing less than grade 8.8 for structural reliability!:emotions34:

59FD79FD-0A4B-47E3-A5DA-41A506B9759E_zpsxrnkjrvm.jpg

It fell right into place. You can see the fabbed ear in the background:

A6624460-D1D0-4DBE-B1B5-C288F2B30EDD_zpsruuwyknz.jpg

While under there, I think I found some of this "rust" stuff I hear about on these forums. I guess that's to be expected at 157,000 miles:

35A97697-464C-421C-AD0C-B0DD0EBD8CA7_zpsp1xtuanc.jpg

That's some nice quick fab work. You got some skills. Thankfully only some surface rust, but annoying nonetheless.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some nice quick fab work. You got some skills. Thankfully only some surface rust, but annoying nonetheless.

Thank ya!

I was gonna leave the shield off and order some contact tips, but I wanted it done because I tend to have problems finishing projects. And I was looking forward to playing with my spool gun. It's been years since I've used it.:(

Lil_Stump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know your pain I just changed a bunch of stuff chasing a squeel

Luckily the lower belt and tensioner is easy to change. Just have to pull the cover off.
Glad to hear it's an easy fix. Hoping that it fixes the squeak, cause it's been the most annoying few weeks having to drive around town with it. It's so loud it's easily heard over my flowmaster super 40 and gets to many unwanted head turns.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank ya!

I was gonna leave the shield off and order some contact tips, but I wanted it done because I tend to have problems finishing projects. And I was looking forward to playing with my spool gun. It's been years since I've used it.:(
Isn't the aluminum and galvanized steel going to get a bit angry being that close together?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the aluminum and galvanized steel going to get a bit angry being that close together?

Zinc and aluminum are very close galvanically. Also, I'm not in any environments corrosive enough to be concerned. No salted roads here and I don't live near the coast. About the best medium to induce the corrosion it'll ever see is moisture from rain or condensation from the rare times it's parked outside and even that is about the weakest conductor ever. Besides, it's just a simple heat shield. If something happens years down the road, the worst that could happen is it breaks and I my metallic pinging sound returns from the shield flapping around. By then I should have my spool gun operational.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saturday I finally changed out those crappy, peeling steering wheel spokes and replaced with the brushed titanium style. What a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA