What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runfor5

Reaction score
What is everyone's general consensus on best alternators these days?
The 'lifetime warranty' on the Advance Auto (Carquest) ones are tempting vs. off RockAuto (RA), I just so much prefer the Bosch/ACDelco units off of RA. Decisions decisions.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'lifetime warranty' on the Advance Auto (Carquest) ones are tempting vs. off RockAuto (RA), I just so much prefer the Bosch/ACDelco units off of RA. Decisions decisions.

upgrade to the newer 220amp unit. you can get them off low mileage take offs on ebay for under 200$ and a direct bolt on unless you wanna be a bit extra. all the numbers to look for arw on iamdub built thread.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine a couple years ago.... 'New- not a reman'..... AutoZone. Buying local is more convenient than online, if there is a glitch, it is replaced for life, in person.

Attachments

• 20240422_133919.jpg
    20240422_133919.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 2

Runfor5

Reaction score
upgrade to the newer 220amp unit. you can get them off low mileage take offs on ebay for under 200$ and a direct bolt on unless you wanna be a bit extra. all the numbers to look for arw on iamdub built thread.
Like from the '21+ current gen? I see the below on RA from a 2021 for $153 (no core charge) wow good price. I'll search for the build thread you mentioned.

I wonder if the 170 amp units from the K2xx trucks would also directly fit on... I hadn't thought to look into either of these things, thanks!

ACDELCO 13536552 GM Original Equipment
Gas; 220A; 220 Amp Gen (KW5)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy with that Denso unit #2219514? Seems that it has both inputs for the oil + trans cooler lines on the sides of it.

I was looking at it over the weekend. Want to revamp the entire cooling system next month (radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc.) before summer road trip season lol.
So far, yes, but I haven't been able to get any miles on it yet. Quality and fit/finish are good. Denso is one of the OE radiator manufacturers for GM, so I'm hoping it will last 100K+. It also has a slightly thicker core than OE at 1.25", so I'm hoping the cooling performance while towing in the summer will be satisfactory. We'll see!

Runfor5

Reaction score
So far, yes, but I haven't been able to get any miles on it yet. Quality and fit/finish are good. Denso is one of the OE radiator manufacturers for GM, so I'm hoping it will last 100K+. It also has a slightly thicker core than OE at 1.25", so I'm hoping the cooling performance while towing in the summer will be satisfactory. We'll see!
Thanks! Good to know about the extra thickness too. I've had good luck with them and Bosch in the past, but haven't bought stuff for the GM vehicles in a bit. I'll proceed w buying that one then most likely.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like from the '21+ current gen? I see the below on RA from a 2021 for $153 (no core charge) wow good price. I'll search for the build thread you mentioned.

I wonder if the 170 amp units from the K2xx trucks would also directly fit on... I hadn't thought to look into either of these things, thanks!

ACDELCO 13536552 GM Original Equipment
Gas; 220A; 220 Amp Gen (KW5)
This is a direct bolt on and is the new style with pressed diodes just like the mechan and other higher end alt.
it is oem on the chevy 3500 pickups (gas engine) just be sure it is a KW5 which indicates 220a
you can find them used on ebay reasonable, just have to shop around
220.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running 160A Amazon Delco clone alternators on both of mine for 5 and 4 years, respectively. No problems at all. I consider alternators maintenance items and replace them every 100K proactively, before they fail. I listen to the bearings with a mechanic's stethoscope at every oil change as well. Caught one about to go on my old Acura the day before I left on a 2500 mile trip that way.

So for me, the AutoZone guarantee won't help me because it has to fail first and be verified by an AutoZone for free replacement. On long (e.g. 2,000+ mile cross-country) camping trips, I carry an old good alternator in my spare parts kit in the camper. If an alternator is going to fail, it'll happen 100 miles from the nearest town with a parts store. :driver:

Runfor5

Reaction score
This is a direct bolt on and is the new style with pressed diodes just like the mechan and other higher end alt.
it is oem on the chevy 3500 pickups (gas engine) just be sure it is a KW5 which indicates 220a
you can find them used on ebay reasonable, just have to shop around
View attachment 426815
Wow super helpful, thanks for this!