Wet Concrete From Transmission Extension Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, that stain/puddle on the ground looks oily and not just water wet. Plus it looks like trans fluid getting ready to drop off that u-joint cup on the driveline.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t for the life of me tell from those pictures what the fluid is. If I zoom in at the bottom of the driveway pic it looks like water but the reflection above looks slightly pink. And there’s a drop coming off the u joint but nothing coming out of the tail shaft or seal so it might be dripping from above. What color is the fluid on the driveway Scott? Does it look like trans fluid or not?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t for the life of me tell from those pictures what the fluid is. If I zoom in at the bottom of the driveway pic it looks like water but the reflection above looks slightly pink. And there’s a drop coming off the u joint but nothing coming out of the tail shaft or seal so it might be dripping from above. What color is the fluid on the driveway Scott? Does it look like trans fluid or not?

I see spray marks above but not on the exhaust, probably burned off. Fluid does look too dark for trans unless his is dirty of just the magic of cameras in dark places.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's time for a new one. Funny thing, that looks like the seal on the back of my transfer case. If I'm reading the books right, yours should look completely different. I'm coming up with 8677268 for yours and installed with J-21426 but could be wrong.

Is that the part number for the transmission extension housing or the seal? The trans extension housing I purchased came with the seal already so maybe I have the wrong trans extension housing?

Anyway to determine the trans extension housing is correct other than with the dealer?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the part number for the transmission extension housing or the seal? The trans extension housing I purchased came with the seal already so maybe I have the wrong trans extension housing?

Anyway to determine the trans extension housing is correct other than with the dealer?
I believe you should be looking at the output shaft seal, the rear seal on the trans itself. That much fluid means to me that your rear seal is leaking pretty good and filling the extension housing up and then leaking out the back of it. It should only get a small amount of fluid in it. Every time I have pulled my trans and separated the extension housing there has only been a small amount of fluid in the extension housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse