Wet carpet in rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe seems to be leaking In the rear. It just enough to moisten the carpet after rain. Would should I check?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this happening on my suburban and replaced the seal. Still happened. Turned out it was the third brake light had a crack and water was running in through the screw holes, sealed them up and problem solved.

If you are somewhere warm, break out the hose and start looking. I learned a trick about checking seals. Rub a bit of baby powder on them and hose it down with the doors shut, check the seals to see if it was completely washed away in a certain area

landsoul

Reaction score
I had this issue and it was the third brake light. The design of these lights was an obvious after thought as they mount to the surface with holes underneath for the wires.

I simply resealed with some outdoor clear caulk and run a small bead around the perimeter of the light for extra measure.

The water hose trick is key to testing this also.. just run water over the brake light and look inside at the same time and you will see it pouring in.

If you have barn doors you can remove the plastic piece running along the very bottom on the inside with the 3 or 4 screws and get a clear view of the catch pan. If your weatherstrip is bad it will fill with water when you run the hose over the doors.

The weatherstrip is sold as one piece and I got mine from gmpartsdirect.com i think for like $100

Last edited:

98YukonTom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had this problem. What I've found is the rear AC drain gets clogged with dirt off the road and backs up into the vehicle. I've noticed it mainly on the Passenger side. You can take a piece of wire and clean the drain from underneath where it comes out. Should be on the passenger side and looks like a thin rubber tube pinched on one end only an inch or two long.
Hope this helps someome!

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a moisture problem with my 96. It has sat for quite a while since I had to rebuild the motor and am still ironing out some issues. When I first got it, I gave it a good cleaning. Then I parked it while the motor was out. When I went to put the motor back in, I found a light coat of mold on all the seats. It was sitting an open barn for over a year. I will have to use these tips to look for the source of my problem.

98YukonTom, could you post pics of the AC drains?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The condensate drain on models with rear a/c should be a little rubber thing going through the passenger floor and exiting roughly above the exhaust pipe.

GM issued a TSB with revised weatherstripping that supposedly addressed some of the problems. I can confirm that the tailgate weatherstripping sold by LMC has the foam insulator and appears identical to the GM version revised under the TSB. It didn't help my issue, but maybe it will be of some use:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=1589

FE985686-3DFC-4F32-AE45-245F2CC75ABE_zpsfgt9jn3z.png

487E3E5B-634C-4F86-9EB2-6577A89FD484_zpsay4tkhnr.png

51D91DF1-452F-45E7-AA3C-664D6CED550D_zps0gsvks8k.png

The alignment marks referred to in the TSB are small dabs of paint applied to the weatherstripping.

Do you have the tailgate or cargo doors? The tailgate on my 98 two-door doesn't meet the bottom of the liftglass. There's a gap and no amount of adjustment will close it. New weatherstripping did not help.

These photos are not of my truck, but show the exact same issue. The exterior side trim panels have been removed to better show the gap:

74F3CD4A-767E-4FFB-A2D9-B2E1759EE167_zpsrownbywr.jpg

67013BA4-6896-4CE0-BDA7-6AB6BAEFF4D6_zps8si4rfwg.jpg

7ED23EF2-60EA-402F-8E05-6D125CA46778_zpswt8ofpl3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the barn doors. I haven't noticed any water at all in my Hoe, just a moisture/humidity problem. Haven't attempted to check for water intrusion since finding this post though.

Anyway, that TSB mentions putting a rubber mallet, halfway between the top hinge, and top of the door, then try closing the door. The door should not touch the body. If this is accurate, the windows on the doors would have to be at a proper 90 degrees, perpendicular to the ground, instead of being angled toward the truck. I'm not looking at my truck right now, but that just doesn't sound correct to me. Seems like the windows should be a lot closer than that. :hmm::shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71