weird scraping sound from back of truck need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i was driving uphill and heard from the rear left side a sort of scrapping sound. sort of sounded like metal on metal like a grinder. it was intermittent but once i sped up it stopped. I wasnt sure if it was my truck or the tuner behind me. Today i heard the same thing driving to work. accelerating on level and hills in the 0 to 30 mph range i hear this intermittent scraping sound from the rear left side. the car is at 99k miles almost time for the maintenance on the differential. any ideas if its that or something else? i dont do any towing with the car. its a 2004 chevy tahoe LT. i did a quick search and some people said it may be pinions or the differential not sure but they seem to mention what kind of drives on on the dash. my truck has 3 buttons heres a picture of the same one i found online. last week or so ive noticed that the N light button in the middle has been blinking red i thought it was maybe in a different mode by mistake nothing popped up on the dash. I put in nutral and press he one its usually in which is the 2nd button and it was fine.

TransButtons.jpg

Jdeshler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, it sounds like it could be a brake or dust shield on its way out. Look to make sure the metal dust shield isn't rubbing the disc brake in the back.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, it sounds like it could be a brake or dust shield on its way out. Look to make sure the metal dust shield isn't rubbing the disc brake in the back.

emergency / parking brake ...the shoes are toasted

thanks for the replies. Im gonna get the truck up on jack stands and take off the wheel take a look either today or tomorrow see whats up and get a replacement hopefully.

Windwalker

Reaction score
Had the same issues it sounds like and it ended up being the parking brake. Some of the material got loose and was sitting in the bottom of the drum itself.

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the truck up on some jacks today took the wheel off got to get a close view of the set up. from what i can tell it looks like one of the brake pads is grinding against the rotor. a friend of mine took a look said it looked like someone took a bite out of it and the other looked normal. tried to spin the rotor it spinned smooth except for one part that took some force to complete the spin. the caliper pins are frozen and i broke the cheap bit i had trying to get it loose. will try again later this week. i didnt see a dust shield down there like ive seen in videos.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a dog leash tied to the bumper and remnants of a dog collar on the end of the leash? Older guys here will know where I am coming from. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts