Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of this info!

So, I don't remember O2 sensor changes yet - I believe they are original and now with 180K miles, should I avoid the E85?

Had no idea there was a hoist for the spare...now you can see the extent of my knowledge...but I'm learning!

I'll try the brake test this weekend to check the mount.
You're receiving fantastic advice from some of the most knowledgeable people on these trucks anywhere. I have two Yukon XL Denali's - an '07 with 239K and a '12 with 138K. I wouldn't hesitate to drive either of them to Alaska and back. I can't stress enough how important preventative maintenance is for peace of mind on the road.

I second everyone else's advice to replace all of the cooling system hoses, and belts. You might also want to get the front end in the air to check the wheel bearings, tire rod ends and ball joints for any play. Hands at 3 and 9 o'clock to rock back and forth to check for tie rod ends and ball joints. Hands at 12 and 6 o'clock for front wheel bearings and ball joints.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of this info!

So, I don't remember O2 sensor changes yet - I believe they are original and now with 180K miles, should I avoid the E85?

Had no idea there was a hoist for the spare...now you can see the extent of my knowledge...but I'm learning!

I'll try the brake test this weekend to check the mount.
Yes, older sensors may not calculate the ethanol content correctly, even if they don't throw a code.

Pull out your owner's manual this weekend and see if the bottle jack and hoist still work.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, older sensors may not calculate the ethanol content correctly, even if they don't throw a code.

Pull out your owner's manual this weekend and see if the bottle jack and hoist still work.

@bobby2175, take clear pics of how the jack and all are arranged and secured before you remove them for testing. You're welcome.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not regularly cleaned the intake or throttle body - it's probably been about 80K-100K miles. You mentioned clean MAF before - what was this?

Also, is fuel injector cleaner the best way (meaning will accomplish the job and not damage anything) or is one of the induction cleaning services like offered at the dealer better? I actually have some older bottles of injector cleaner I can use as long as they don't degrade after sitting on the shelf for a while.

Is the process for those to put injector cleaner in (I'm assuming would need 2 bottles) while filling tank, let the tank run until low and then repeat, or do I run it low, then add the bottle and when I get really low, add a little fuel and then another bottle?
injector cleaner won't hurt anything, a fuel injection service would be better if you have not already been putting cleaner in from time to time. the service should be $80-100 and they connect a adapter right to the fuel rail and run a special cleaner into the injectors, this is usually separate from a induction service.
a induction service may "say" injector cleaning but usually that just means they add some injector cleaner into the gas tank, you will want to "clarify" that wherever you have it done.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! What do you think about replacing the water pump while I'm changing out the hoses and going to be knee deep into it anyways? It is original - or should I not worry about it?

Also, pretty much everything is original - starter, pumps, etc. I've had no major issues other than this electrical issue which I've almost completely sorted out. Should I proactively change anything else out?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! What do you think about replacing the water pump while I'm changing out the hoses and going to be knee deep into it anyways? It is original - or should I not worry about it?

Also, pretty much everything is original - starter, pumps, etc. I've had no major issues other than this electrical issue which I've almost completely sorted out. Should I proactively change anything else out?

For the most part, these items will give warnings of impending failure. You are at the age (mileage) where things will start showing their wear. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the water pump unless it's weeping or the starter unless it's acting up. I have a tool set I bring with me on the road that should cover anything repairable on the road. A starter and water pump are easy enough to replace in a parking lot should they suddenly fail. If it brings YOU peace of mind, changing the water pump now can be justified since it is 180K old and you'll have the coolant system opened up. In the least, it'd save you from having to refill and purge the system more than once. I've never had an issue but some people seem to fight theirs. In contrast, I'm at 225K and am still on the original water pump, starter and power steering pump. I spin mine to 6,000+ almost every time I drive it and road trip it whenever I please. The alternator was original and replaced recently only to upgrade for a sound system.

For the road, I have this HART 215-piece tool kit. I like it cuz the quality seems more than "good enough" and it's quiet. I even added two sets of ratcheting wrenches in the bottom drawer and I don't hear them. I also carry a small canvas electrician's bag with electrical items- Super 33+ tape, digital multi-meter, strippers, crimpers, fuses, splice connectors, etc. I have mechanic's gloves and heavy duty jumper cables stored with the factory jack tools. The gloves can be really handy (pun intended) when working around a hot engine. Also an LED flashlight in the center console.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, these items will give warnings of impending failure. You are at the age (mileage) where things will start showing their wear. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the water pump unless it's weeping or the starter unless it's acting up. I have a tool set I bring with me on the road that should cover anything repairable on the road. A starter and water pump are easy enough to replace in a parking lot should they suddenly fail. If it brings YOU peace of mind, changing the water pump now can be justified since it is 180K old and you'll have the coolant system opened up. In the least, it'd save you from having to refill and purge the system more than once. I've never had an issue but some people seem to fight theirs. In contrast, I'm at 225K and am still on the original water pump, starter and power steering pump. I spin mine to 6,000+ almost every time I drive it and road trip it whenever I please. The alternator was original and replaced recently only to upgrade for a sound system.

For the road, I have this HART 215-piece tool kit. I like it cuz the quality seems more than "good enough" and it's quiet. I even added two sets of ratcheting wrenches in the bottom drawer and I don't hear them. I also carry a small canvas electrician's bag with electrical items- Super 33+ tape, digital multi-meter, strippers, crimpers, fuses, splice connectors, etc. I have mechanic's gloves and heavy duty jumper cables stored with the factory jack tools. The gloves can be really handy (pun intended) when working around a hot engine. Also an LED flashlight in the center console.
Thank you so much - incredible info and exactly what I was looking for! I really wasn't sure how long these things would last, but that gives me some confidence that you're up to 225K. I think I'll just leave it then and see how it goes.

I'm planning on putting together a tool kit to take with me and I really didn't know where to start, so this is great! Anything else you think I should take with me? Any recommendations on a good OBD scanner - as I'm starting to now do my own vehicle repairs, I feel like I need to get something good to go across 3 cars.

One question on the heater hoses - should I also replace the hose that goes to the radiator?

Also, what is the best way to make sure I get all of the coolant out of the system, make sure I get the air out, etc? I see conflicting videos - some say to keep the reservoir cap off and keep refilling, other people say don't do that?!? What's the best way to refill properly with new coolant?

Last question on this one - how much time do you think I should set aside to do the heater hoses swap for a total rookie? I'm traveling for work the next two weeks, so I'm trying to squeeze it in between flights and want to make sure I can do it right!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much - incredible info and exactly what I was looking for! I really wasn't sure how long these things would last, but that gives me some confidence that you're up to 225K. I think I'll just leave it then and see how it goes.

I'm planning on putting together a tool kit to take with me and I really didn't know where to start, so this is great! Anything else you think I should take with me? Any recommendations on a good OBD scanner - as I'm starting to now do my own vehicle repairs, I feel like I need to get something good to go across 3 cars.

One question on the heater hoses - should I also replace the hose that goes to the radiator?

Also, what is the best way to make sure I get all of the coolant out of the system, make sure I get the air out, etc? I see conflicting videos - some say to keep the reservoir cap off and keep refilling, other people say don't do that?!? What's the best way to refill properly with new coolant?

Last question on this one - how much time do you think I should set aside to do the heater hoses swap for a total rookie? I'm traveling for work the next two weeks, so I'm trying to squeeze it in between flights and want to make sure I can do it right!
I'm going to take a little different stance on the water pump. You already have the coolant out of the system and everything else out of the way, so why not just change it and eliminate it from the list of things that will get you stuck somewhere? It's an easy job and you can buy one with the thermostat housing and thermostat already installed. It might add 15 minutes to the job you're already doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlazinMilk