Want To Lower The Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I definitely need to get springs? Can't use the stock pieces to get it lowered? How would lowering shackles do? Better than springs?
Lowering shackles will not work. They only work on leaf spring equipped vehicles and GM SUVs use trailing arms and a panhard.

Lowering the front is seriously just turning two bolts underneath the truck. Doing so will ease the tension on the torsion bars, allowing the front end to come down.

Lowering the rear will require altering or replacing the springs. You can cut the springs (bad idea), heat the springs (worse idea), or spend the $100-200 on a pair of lowering springs (good idea).

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let me start by admitting that I know nothing about lowering a 4 wd suspension! I don't know anything about messing with the keys or torsion bars. That being said: Can anyone tell me how to go about lowering my 03, without having to really buy any parts? What I mean is, I'd like to just go maybe 2 inches in the rear and maybe an inch in the front, or something along those lines. Everything is stock. I have the 16 Tahoe rims but I'm trying to get the ppv style 17 inch rims. There's a big gap in the rear between the quarter and the tire. I'd like to bring it down as far as I can go with the stock suspension pieces once I put the 17's on. I've read something about torsion keys but have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx again guys!

djm kit
1 inch keys
rear 2 inch spings
rear shock extenders
285 shipped

any other questinos just holelr back.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1 to 2 front
2 rear.

If you want 2 inch front DO NOT do keys it will rdie bad

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This is how it sits now. Can I do the keys myself? Anything special needed? Or should a qualified professional tackle it?WP_20160603_001.jpg

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how it sits now. Can I do the keys myself? Anything special needed? Or should a qualified professional tackle it?View attachment 63229
If you're just adjusting the factory keys lower, you can do it yourself in the driveway in 10-15 minutes. Just remember to count how many turns you do on one side and repeat that number on the other side, that way it sits level.

If you're swapping torsion keys for a different set, have a pro do it. There's a LOT of tension on them and if something goes wrong, you can be hurt badly.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to lower it and since my shocks are shot, what shocks or kind of shocks should I get ? I don't want to crazy price wise tho, something reasonably priced that'll work with the lowering kit. Thx guys .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts