URGENT FEEDBACK NEEDED - Extremely Stiff Ride (vibration) on 2017 Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on older one when the electronic struts go thats how they act, super stiff, they have had issues with them after hanging on a lift for any length of time

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf0923

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Talked to the dealership on Friday and they are replacing my front and rear springs. This will likely "fix" my problem for a period of time and then will go right back to my very stiff, harsh ride - just like it did when I first bought it (drove great at first and slowly stiffened up). I guess my next step is to contact GM although not optimistic that it is going to do me any good. Still baffles me why in a truck with the amount of technology that resides in it, that they don't have an electronic suspension option with different modes - comfort, sport, etc. And what's worse, magnetic ride control (MRC) is NOT an option - it's a standard feature...a feature I don't want! Of course, when I bought the truck, not a single person mentioned the implications of having MRC. I want my truck to drive like a luxurious $80K SUV, not like a Z06 Vette!!

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have asked the first to borrow a set of wheels and tires from another vehicle and taken it out for a test ride. You could still have a tire issue not visible to the naked eye.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the springs would stiffen up over time. Springs get weaker with use (and a lot more use than 6,000 miles), so the ride should get softer, not firmer. Now, the SHOCKS (dampers) could very well be at fault. Could even be a software issue where the system is erroneously firming them up. Of course, as always with these, the wheels and tires need to be investigated.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
springs do not stiffen over time, they go the other way, the electronic shocks have been the issue as they stick in the very hard position and do not return to normal, so changing springs alone is useless

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your dealership is clueless or trying to screw you somehow.
as others have mentioned, springs dont get stiffer.

the couple of denalis that i rode in felt like riding on a marshmellow. i didnt like it, no sense of control on road. has dealer done any software updates to MRC? there are updates avail. from what others have posted in other threads.

i agree w/ dub... look @ wheels/tires, then shocks, then MRC software.

did dealer double check the ride height sensor link yet?
what have they done thus far?

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harshness is usually caused by the MRC system. On some vehicles if they've been transported long distances and not secured properly it'll damage the system and it'll get stuck in firm mode. I've seen it several times in these forums.

Replacing springs is going to do nothing. Have them replace the shocks (front and rear). I bet they're damaged.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf0923

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologies - been traveling on biz this afternoon and just now checking replies. I posted earlier springs and meant shocks. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. Anyway, hopefully it is that the shocks are damaged and the new ones will make a difference. They did check for software updates and even anything that could be done to supersede current programming in the MRC and supposedly there is nothing available. Really appreciate all of the replies/guidance/feedback!

OP
OP
J

Jeremyf0923

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up truck today. All shocks were replaced and it drives substantially better - not near as stiff. Technician said this is likely only a band aid - that they will stiffen up over time and it will likely go back to the way it was. Yet again I was told "this is what you get when you get a vehicle with MRC". That is really NOT what I want to continue to hear! Number one, it is a standard feature on a Denali XL so it's not like I had an option and number two there is no disclaimer whatsoever anywhere about the implications of having a vehicle with MRC (VERY stiff ride)! Had I known, I would have never bought this truck. And again, GMC could have easily remedied this with a couple of electronic suspension settings rather than it being only a default. Enough ranting from me...we'll see what happens. I will update everyone periodically.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up truck today. All shocks were replaced and it drives substantially better - not near as stiff. Technician said this is likely only a band aid - that they will stiffen up over time and it will likely go back to the way it was. Yet again I was told "this is what you get when you get a vehicle with MRC". That is really NOT what I want to continue to hear! Number one, it is a standard feature on a Denali XL so it's not like I had an option and number two there is no disclaimer whatsoever anywhere about the implications of having a vehicle with MRC (VERY stiff ride)! Had I known, I would have never bought this truck. And again, GMC could have easily remedied this with a couple of electronic suspension settings rather than it being only a default. Enough ranting from me...we'll see what happens. I will update everyone periodically.
I totally do not agree with that statement.. will you need to replace the shocks again? Yes. Unfortunately, Magnaride shocks have been well known for failures.

From what I understand, the new shocks have a 2yr warranty. If it gets stiff again I'd be knocking on their door telling them to replace them again.

Rear shocks are a piece of cake for really anyone to replace. The fronts are more involved but definitely in scope for your average DIY guy.

I did have one shock fail (the airbag actually). I had put them on myself (purchased though Amazon) and they took care of it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA