Upgrading head unit and retaining rear DVD and audio options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Ollis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2005 factory system with Bose speakers, navigation, OnStar and xm.
I know they make harness adapters that retain OnStar and factory chimes but you lose functions of the rear entertainment. I have although read about people using dual-zone head units and retaining the rear entertainment functions. Is there a real way of doing this without totally hacking the factory harness?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are adapters to retain and use the rear screens also, add's a little more cost and is tricky when installing but can be done.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the adapters.

Then you're not looking... :D

Go to metraonline.com, put in your info and it'll give you the different options. One says "will retain RSE if..." I can't remember which specific harness or the exac quote right now and I'm out eating so I'm typing on my phone... There's a few threads here on it already I'll try to dig up.

Edit: GMOS-014

Last edited:

Joao GANDAREZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im going throu this sam issue atm. With the exception of navigation and onstar.i recently installed a scoche (crap) but was only $40 and does chimes. Which im gonna return anyway. The reason i did it this was to try out the rear dvd entertainment. to my surprise it still works only with ir(infared) headphones. But still works. So now. I might buy one of the more expensive modules.but im undecided tp get the pac or metra axxess ones. The pac adapter states maintains a healthy status on the class 2 data bus (car network).That are 2x what i paid for the one i have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65