Upgraded to GM HDD navigation radio but there's problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Even so, I did the same radio in my 2010 Silverado with zero issues.

Easy way to take it off is start in a bottom corner and get one of the lower clips off first, then just get behind it and pull it toward you. Ive taken off probably over a hundred of these, and never broke any (knock on wood). its stronger than you think.

OP
OP
UplevelDave

UplevelDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is an issue with this nav radio. I went to move the truck today and the battery was completely dead. I called Matt at OEM-Radios and left another voicemail to see if he has any ideas, but something is not working right on this radio.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those clips are so tight it always feels like you're going to destroy your dashboard, snap off clips, break the bezel, etc. Even with a trim tool.

This...so much this. LOL Every time I have pulled mine off, I'm thinking to myself, this @$&^$ thing is about to snap in two, crack in a million spots, etc, etc and then....BAM...the clips let loose and scare the crap out of me. :waytogo:

OP
OP
UplevelDave

UplevelDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK so the next thing I tried was to remove the radio, and just using a factory style plug (not the adapter harness), run 12v power, ground, and GMLAN (3 wires) to the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. The radio comes on and works properly in ACC, RUN, etc like it should. So there's apparently an issue with the adapter harness. But what I can't figure out is, what could possibly be mis-wired to cause it to behave like that? I have to pull up wiring diagrams so I can see what's what.

Here's the other thing - I finally got a hold of the guy who configured the radio and sold me the harness. He specializes in GM radios. He mentions "Well, maybe run a wire to the accessory power etc etc" and I'm just.. sigh. You SPECIALIZE in OEM GM radios! There's no accessory wire! Why does nobody know what they are talking about? If you have a GM car since 2000, or a GM truck since 2003, there's NO accessory wire. There's 12v constant, ground, and a network wire (class 2 or GMLAN). The radio is always receiving power. Always. It just listens for a signal over the network to actually turn on when the BCM tells it to. There's no way to turn a factory GM radio on any other way besides with the command sent from the BCM. Period. It's just frustrating when you want someone to say "Oh, right, I know exactly what you're talking about since I do this for a living" and instead you get an uninformed answer.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note if I may ask how much did you pay for your HDD? I'm looking at doing this upgrade as well in my 07 LTZ

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already, I'd say this TO Mr. Configure-er.....

You SPECIALIZE in OEM GM radios! There's no accessory wire! Why does nobody know what they are talking about? If you have a GM car since 2000, or a GM truck since 2003, there's NO accessory wire. There's 12v constant, ground, and a network wire (class 2 or GMLAN). The radio is always receiving power. Always. It just listens for a signal over the network to actually turn on when the BCM tells it to. There's no way to turn a factory GM radio on any other way besides with the command sent from the BCM. Period. It's just frustrating when you want someone to say "Oh, right, I know exactly what you're talking about since I do this for a living"

Last edited:
OP
OP
UplevelDave

UplevelDave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a side note if I may ask how much did you pay for your HDD? I'm looking at doing this upgrade as well in my 07 LTZ

I got mine for a steal, there was a salvage yard in Colorado that had it advertised at $650, and I was watching it. One day they did a weird 50% off sale on a bunch of their parts and I got a notification. I jumped on it right away and got it for $325 shipped. But typically expect to pay around $700-900. Also, you need an adapter harness which is $70 or so, and it needs to be programmed to your truck for $100. The main thing is the radio, just keep an eye out for someone selling one cheap, with a return policy, and get it. Search tip on ebay? Don't search "GM NAVIGATION HARD DRIVE" etc etc. A lot of the listings are bulk created with Hollander and they use awful titles. Search "12 Tahoe audio" "13 yukon audio radio" that sort of thing. Then sort by price and scroll through pictures.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ok, I have an 08 Nali AWD with the factory Navi+DVD. Are there some of you with the early 07-08 set up like mine that have installed the later HDD that have everything working like it should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 08. Working perfect 4+ years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Cool, have a referral for who hooked u up with the HDD set up for your 08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20