Upgraded to a 2021 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrotriX

Reaction score
I don't think it ever did. My 22 has the GM and I just rode in a 23 that also had it.
Interesting. It appears that the system for the RSE changed at some point…. I assumed that those changes occurred at the same time. Does anyone know when the RSE changed? The older style seems better with ability to play media from a USB and send navigation info to the driver, etc.

mplunk

Reaction score
Interesting. It appears that the system for the RSE changed at some point…. I assumed that those changes occurred at the same time. Does anyone know when the RSE changed? The older style seems better with ability to play media from a USB and send navigation info to the driver, etc.
I don't have the RSE so it's possible that did change in 22 like the Tahoe and the Yukon. We went from a 21 Yukon to a 23 Tahoe for my wife and the difference was night and day with the Google OS and the RSE. Pros and cons to each but for what you're looking for I would say you're safe with a 21.

Someone else who has the RSE in the Escalade could chime in and tell me I'm wrong though

BrotriX

Reaction score
I don't have the RSE so it's possible that did change in 22 like the Tahoe and the Yukon. We went from a 21 Yukon to a 23 Tahoe for my wife and the difference was night and day with the Google OS and the RSE. Pros and cons to each but for what you're looking for I would say you're safe with a 21.

Someone else who has the RSE in the Escalade could chime in and tell me I'm wrong though
Can you elaborate on what you mean… night and day with the switch to the Google OS? You mean you like the Google OS much more? If so, what are the main reasons?

mplunk

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you mean… night and day with the switch to the Google OS? You mean you like the Google OS much more? If so, what are the main reasons?
I'll preface this by saying I'm younger and like tech stuff. The integration is better. I don't necessarily need carplay because I can log into Waze and Spotify on the main screen. The digital dash that the 21s didn't get and the HUD integrates with Waze turn by turn, whether I use it in carplay or not. Same for Apple Maps if I happen to use that. I think it runs faster- there's less latency when you click things. The profiles work better- it's my wife's car, so when she's driving on her profile her phone is connected and mine is not. When we switch profiles it switches which phone is connected, so while she's on her phone in the passenger seat it's not playing whatever instagram video she's watching over the stereo. The RSE has more built in- I'll admit I don't watch things back there or use a usb for files so I had no use for that in 21, but it makes it easy for whoever is riding to get entertainment going by just clicking on Hulu or Youtube. Also, when they switched the RSE the headphones also changed. In 21 they were infrared and you had to use the headphones that came with it, and they had to be line of sight. The new ones come with bluetooth headphones, and you can pair your own bluetooth headphones to it if you choose.

But the biggest reason we switched was to get SuperCruise- once I had it in my Escalade I don't think I can go back to having a car without it.

A lot of people complain about Google and them having your data etc etc... but you're already carrying your phone and giving all that data away as it is, so it doesn't bother me as much.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm younger and like tech stuff. The integration is better. I don't necessarily need carplay because I can log into Waze and Spotify on the main screen. The digital dash that the 21s didn't get and the HUD integrates with Waze turn by turn, whether I use it in carplay or not. Same for Apple Maps if I happen to use that. I think it runs faster- there's less latency when you click things. The profiles work better- it's my wife's car, so when she's driving on her profile her phone is connected and mine is not. When we switch profiles it switches which phone is connected, so while she's on her phone in the passenger seat it's not playing whatever instagram video she's watching over the stereo. The RSE has more built in- I'll admit I don't watch things back there or use a usb for files so I had no use for that in 21, but it makes it easy for whoever is riding to get entertainment going by just clicking on Hulu or Youtube. Also, when they switched the RSE the headphones also changed. In 21 they were infrared and you had to use the headphones that came with it, and they had to be line of sight. The new ones come with bluetooth headphones, and you can pair your own bluetooth headphones to it if you choose.

But the biggest reason we switched was to get SuperCruise- once I had it in my Escalade I don't think I can go back to having a car without it.

A lot of people complain about Google and them having your data etc etc... but you're already carrying your phone and giving all that data away as it is, so it doesn't bother me as much.

the big complaint with the google integration is more along the lines that in order to gain access to full functionality, you have to have an onstar/web subscription.

escalades are probably like the yukons and come with a longer "trial" period, but for everyone else who doesn't want to pay $30-50/month to use the vehicle's software, carplay/android auto is the only other option if you want any additional functionality.

and for most it's not that the subscription will break them financially, it's more the principle of it. there have been numerous discussions on here about "what's appropriate" for a car manufacturer to charge for after the $70-100k sale as brands are pushing the limits of consumers

as far as google OS having less latency, is it possible that's GM's intent? I'll agree that carplay/android auto works significantly better in our Honda and Rams than it does in our Tahoe.

the chart below is from late 2023

plans.jpg

mplunk

Reaction score
the big complaint with the google integration is more along the lines that in order to gain access to full functionality, you have to have an onstar/web subscription.

escalades are probably like the yukons and come with a longer "trial" period, but for everyone else who doesn't want to pay $30-50/month to use the vehicle's software, carplay/android auto is the only other option if you want any additional functionality.

and for most it's not that the subscription will break them financially, it's more the principle of it. there have been numerous discussions on here about "what's appropriate" for a car manufacturer to charge for after the $70-100k sale as brands are pushing the limits of consumers

as far as google OS having less latency, is it possible that's GM's intent? I'll agree that carplay/android auto works significantly better in our Honda and Rams than it does in our Tahoe.

the chart below is from late 2023

View attachment 426991
This is all true and something I did not touch on. I understand not wanting to pay for a separate subscription when we already pay for data on our phones. I just think of it as part of my payment, because I use the remote access on the app all the time to start the car when it's not in line of sight to warm it up or cool it down, as well as I believe that in some areas that I frequent the vehicle data has better reception than my phone.

Would I prefer that it be included? Absolutely. But I also have accepted that the world doesn't work that way- data networks require constant maintenance and that requires money. It's the same reason you don't just pay one price for your phone and be able to use all of the features associated with it. I understand that and understand that if I want to use the vehicle like I prefer to use it, I have to pay.

Data access is the only thing I think like this on- if it ever gets to subscriptions for features like heated seats or other options that are a one time fixed cost to the automaker, then I'll be complaining.

This all comes down to personal preference- the Google OS without a data plan isn't all that different than the traditional GM one in usability, and for most as long as you have CarPlay functionality that's all that matters. Adding the data plan merely unlocks more features that are a bonus. I understand both sides of the argument and just choose to do it this way because it's what works best for me.

BrotriX

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. Can you clarify your experience with Waze and the HUD? Are you saying that turn by turn directions display in the HUD both when you are using Waze on your phone through CarPlay as well as Waze built-in into the Google platform?

I only get directions in the HUD with Waze built-in and it does not include turn arrows, just distance to next exit.

I don’t mind the Google system overall. But it does surprise me in a new vehicle how laggy and slow the system is. I feel like it takes forever for apps to load, particularly Waze. You could buy a cheap five year old, no-name tablet and have a smoother experience. Moving through the actual vehicle menus is pretty smooth though. It only seems to be the Google aspects that are especially slow.

Edit - tried Waze built in today and I now have arrows in the HUD. Must have been an update since my last use. Still don’t have anything in the HUD with Waze on CarPlay.

Edit 2 - well, I’m stumped. I reset my infotainment system to clear profiles and when I re-downloaded Waze I’m back to only having distance and road name in the HUD. No turn arrows anymore.

Last edited:

mplunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Can you clarify your experience with Waze and the HUD? Are you saying that turn by turn directions display in the HUD both when you are using Waze on your phone through CarPlay as well as Waze built-in into the Google platform?

I only get directions in the HUD with Waze built-in and it does not include turn arrows, just distance to next exit.

I don’t mind the Google system overall. But it does surprise me in a new vehicle how laggy and slow the system is. I feel like it takes forever for apps to load, particularly Waze. You could buy a cheap five year old, no-name tablet and have a smoother experience. Moving through the actual vehicle menus is pretty smooth though. It only seems to be the Google aspects that are especially slow.

Edit - tried Waze built in today and I now have arrows in the HUD. Must have been an update since my last use. Still don’t have anything in the HUD with Waze on CarPlay.

Edit 2 - well, I’m stumped. I reset my infotainment system to clear profiles and when I re-downloaded Waze I’m back to only having distance and road name in the HUD. No turn arrows anymore.
Gotta love technology. It does take Waze a while to load I'll admit that. But yes It all works the same on mine regardless of the source. Maybe mine is the glitch!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blokroknbeats